Gold Fish Help!!!! Please! !!!

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by SteveS1, Jul 24, 2015.

1. S

SteveS1 New Member Member

So i was given two rather large Goldfish by a friend and in the tank i had 2 Cory cats, the largest of the good fish ate one of them. I have since removed the other two. But now it is hanging from its mouth and has been all day, will this just work it self out. I don't want it to die. I also have a bunch of African Cichlids in another tank. This is just the first time i have seen this big Goldfish eat another fish.

2. Wendigoblue

Wendigoblue Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore!

I'm sorry to hear about your cory. Cory catfish have spines, so if he's hanging on the side of the goldfish's mouth it probably means one of the spines is stuck in his mouth. I would try to remove the cory cat from the goldfish's mouth without him getting stuck any further, but I haven't had a fish do this yet, so I'm still not really sure. Goldfish will eat anything that fits in their mouth which could be fish, plants and even shrimp or snails. What size tank do you currently/plan to have them in? Also any pictures of the goldfish might help us to figure out how to handle the situation. Sometimes the cory could be stuck in a way you that need to pull him out in a certain way. Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  3. OP
    OP
    S

They are in a 55 gallon. Plenty of room. I am worried he won't be able to get it out himself. Here is a pic. [​IMG]

4. Wendigoblue

Wendigoblue Well Known Member Member

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  5. OP
    OP
    S

He is breathing and moving around fine.

6. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fish Lore!!!! Nice to have you here! :)

Agree with the above poster's questions. ^^ Also, does he seem to still be trying to swallow it?

7. OP
    OP
    S

Well it looks like he is either trying to swallow it or spit it out can't tell which. I think i am gonna get him out and try to remove it. I guess. ....

8. BornThisWayBettas

Can you get a very, very close up and detailed picture of the cory stuck in his mouth? Does it seem that the spines are caught in his mouth?

Also, sorry about your cory, btw. :(

9. OP
    OP
    S

No worries on the Cory. Just don't want this big Goldfish to be hurt or die.

10. BornThisWayBettas

What about the detailed picture of his mouth, is that possible?

11. OP
    OP
    S

12. OP
    OP
    S

Working on getting pic

13. BornThisWayBettas

Hmm, does it look like the spines are stuck in his mouth?

14. OP
    OP
    S

[​IMG]

Idk

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2015
  15. BornThisWayBettas

Like I asked, does it appear that the spines are caught in his mouth?

16. OP
    OP
    S

I think so

17. BornThisWayBettas

In that case, if you try to remove it, I personally would locate the spines and work around those very carefully, to avoid tearing the goldie's mouth. I personally have no experience with this, just trying to give ideas so please wait for others' thoughts.

Good luck. :)

18. OP
    OP
    S

I removed it with very little damage to his mouth, just one little blood spot on the very outside of his mouth, the Cory is still alive but without a tail, will it grow a new one? Should i put it in the tank with the other Cory cats?

19. BornThisWayBettas

Do you have a heated, filtered, cycled hospital tank? That would be best for the cory imo, but putting him in with the other cories would certainly be better than leaving him in the tank with the goldfish. Depending on the damage, he might grow his tail back (I don't make any promises either way), I've had a guppy that lost most of his tail only to grow it back. :)

As for the goldie, just make sure to keep your water in pristine conditions.

20. OP
    OP
    S

Yeah water is in great shape. He's gonna be fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice