Gold Fish Growth Expectancy

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by carolo43, Nov 27, 2012.

1. carolo43

carolo43Valued MemberMember

We all read so often that people want to keep goldfish in a bowl. Or see the question: How many goldfish will "fit" in my 29 gallon tank? Perhaps this size chart will help answer those questions.

These are average sizes in inches that these fish may get. Be prepared for some very large tanks for some of these goldfish or put commons or comets in a pond, where they really belong.

Common Goldfish 12 +
    Comet Goldfish 12 +
    Shubunkin Goldfish 10
    Fantail Goldfish 6
    Veiltail Goldfish 6-8
    Celestial Goldfish 5-6
    Bubble-Eye Goldfish 6-8
    Calico Goldfish also called the Shubunkin
    Butterfly Tail Goldfish 9
    Telescope-Eye Goldfish 8
    Ranchu Goldfish 6
    Moor Goldfish 10
    Oranda Goldfish 8-12
    Lionhead Goldfish 6
    Lionchu Goldfish 6
    Pearlscale Goldfish 8
    Ryukin Goldfish 4-6
    Wakin Goldfish 10
    Pom-Pon Goldfish 5
    Jikin Goldfish 9

2. Oso

OsoWell Known MemberMember

wait so my goldfish can get 9-10 inches long?! I so didn't know that. I was expecting 6 inches at most

3. nippybetta

nippybettaWell Known MemberMember

I love ryukins... I guess this means I can put them in a 10 gallon tank!

Just kidding... I'd probably go for 55+ if I had room.

4. fishynoob

fishynoobWell Known MemberMember

I don't know if mine is a comet or a Shubunkin I got told (seemingly incorrectly) that they were the same just different colourings so I have been calling mine a comet lol I guess I need to learn how to spell his true name if he turns out to not be a comet!

5. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Really, none of them belong in a 20 gallon tank. I bang my head against the wall when I see "20 gallons for each goldfish".

6. aylad

ayladWell Known MemberMember

I'm guilty of posting that, or something like it. I can do basic sheetrock repair, if you need it. ;) I've stopped posting this "guideline," though, as I've learned more about goldfish. My original information came from the profile here on FishLore, but I've since learned that when a FL profile says "minimum size" it really DOES mean absolute-if-there-are-no-other-options-and-you're-going-to-be-stubborn-about-it MINIMUM.

It's a relief to know that mom's black moor can't get much bigger. I can't talk her into upgrading larger than a 10gal tank, but at least the fish isn't too undersized/stunted.

7. Terra

TerraWell Known MemberMember

That '10' beside Moor means 10 inches long, not 10 gallon tank hehe

8. aylad

ayladWell Known MemberMember

:p I know, I just meant, the fish is already nearly 10 inches long. The 10gal is obviously WAAAAY too small; the fish would look better in a 30-long or bigger.

9. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

Haha!

This is a great concise list to show people so they can get a grasp of how their fish should grow.

My commons and comets are happily in a pond, I have/will recommend 30g for most fancies and 10g for additional. I've also set my sister up with a 55g for 3 fancies (2 fantails and a telescope eye) and that seems suitable imo.

10. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

Moors, Ryukins* and Orandas are the biggest of the Fancies :;th

*The only exception to this is the Calico Ryukin. They don't seem to grow as large, or get as much of a hump.

I always say a minimum of 29 or 30 gallons for a single fancy, and no more than two in a tank that small.

11. OP
    OP
    carolo43

carolo43Valued MemberMember

No fancy goldfish should be kept with commons or comets even in a pond. The commons and comets get too aggressive with the fancies for some reason. I put this up here because IMO goldfish are the most abused fish there are. They are never kept in proper sized tanks and it drives me quite crazy when I see someone has 4 comets in 5 gallons.

It causes lumps on my forehead when I bang my head on my desk.
    :;smack Maybe like Jaysee I should use the wall instead?

12. Akari_32

I personally don't see a problem with keeping an abled bodied, non-eye-deformity type fancy goldfish with single tailed goldfish as long as they aren't getting out competed for food. I've seen fancies bull-doze through a wriggling mass of commons and comets for a bite to eat. Ryukins and Fantails are probably the best candidates for this (unless we are counting Wakins and Jeknis and other long bodied, double tailed goldfish as "fancies").

13. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I had a problem keeping a common with fancies. It had nothing to do with being out competed for food - strictly behavior related.

14. Akari_32

Some fish are too feisty or aggressive, which would cause problems, as well, yeah. Usually its the faster commons and comets picking on the fancies. Some of it could just be out of play, but some fish are just jerks. I have one of those LOL Brattish little Wakin... him and his 4 inches picks on my two 9 inchers. They are slowly teaching him who the bosses of the pond are :;laughing

15. fishynoob

fishynoobWell Known MemberMember

my lfs sold a woman a 5g tank gravel and 5 comets she said "so i just pop all the stuff in and I'm good to go yea these should last about a year right" she had a kid i foresee an unhappy kid when his 5 new fish are dead one morning!

It's a shame the fish there have always been in good condition in the past 3 years (and an extra 10 years when i was younger and my dad had a fish pond) I have never once seen a diseased or dead fish in that store. Either they are very quick at removing poorly fish have been incredably lucky or some guy (or girl) who wasn't that sales assistant takes pretty good care of them!

I guess it could just have been a stubborn customer I guess... I hope... still poor fish one was stunning too!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice