Gold fish can be bullys?

Discussion in 'Cyprinids (includes Goldfish)' started by Fashooga, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

Ok so my wife's parents has a gold fish tank that we've been taking care of for a while. There used to be about 6-7 of them and now 3 remains now with a bunch of tropical fish (yes I know they don't mix but they work).

We've tried adding new gold fish twice already, but each time the newbies died or don't look good all the sudden and die.

Is it possible that the remaining three goldfish are actually bullying the new fish?

They don't have a QT tank, but I also thought of QT in my tank and take it back to them in a few weeks.

2. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Without quarantining the new fish, it's tough to say. Can goldfish be bullies? You bet. Are they killing them? No idea. Quarantining the new fish is the only way to make sure that it is healthy, which would eliminate that variable.

3. OP
    OP
    Fashooga

Yeah I thought about that, but at the time the QT was being used for my other fish.

4. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

well, next time I would wait until the QT is available :)

You cannot quarantine fish inside the show tank, unless there is completely separate water and filtration.

5. OP
    OP
    Fashooga

Maybe I should buy the inlaws a QT. Suprise!

6. Mrs.Price

Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

How big is the tank?

7. Gordinian

GordinianWell Known MemberMember

Yes ^^ what size tank?

Where do you get the goldies from?

8. OP
    OP
    Fashooga

Well it's a 85 gallon tank...but now that I've seen them, it's not a bullying problem...the Petsmart fish brought in something that was bad and one of them died and the other is at deaths door.

If I had a time machine I would probably tell myself the QT them at my house.

9. Mrs.Price

Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

Sorry to hear that :/ Hope you get the issue under control.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice