Gold Fish Are Chasing Each Other. Important

1. Daniel123121

Daniel123121 New Member Member

Hi,

My smaller telescope goldfish seems to be getting chased by the other goldfish and this just started this morning. They have adequate food and all the water parameters are great. The fish have lived in the tank together for around 2 months in a cycled aquarium and I haven't seen this behavior before.

I have read up on some posts and some say that this could be breeding behavior. I'm not entirely sure which one is a male/female telescope goldfish. However, when I took the smaller of the telescope goldfish out, the chasing stopped. When I put it back in with the smaller brown fantails and took the larger telescope goldfish out, it was still getting chased by the smaller brown fantails. I have 5 fantails in the tank and only the two brown ones are chasing the smaller telescope goldfish. Could it be that these two brown ones and the large telescope goldfish are male and the smaller telescope goldfish is a female?. It doesn't appear that any of the gold fish have white tubercles on their gills which is common during breeding behavior?.

When i say smaller telescope goldfish, its the one with more of a white coloring and less black spots.

I have added a video of my goldfish getting chased : . (ignore the birds in the background :))

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

2. FishGirl38

FishGirl38 Valued Member Member

I've had this happen to me before, I have 3 comet goldfish. I did a water-change one night, and it set my goldfish off. My two were chasing my one, I let it go because I figured it was something to do with the w/c. The next morning there were eggs all over the place. I've read that a quick change in temperature can cause goldfish to partake in breeding behavior. I'm almost sure this is what caused mine to try to breed.

I would say that is what is going on. If you notice the chasers trying to nip at the 'chasee's' underside, they're trying to get her to release eggs. Telling male from female goldfish is kind-of hard. The best way to be sure is to look at their breeding tubs, and if they ARE trying to breed, the female tubes will be blunt and rounded whereas the males should be slightly pointed. Usually while goldfish are just...chillen, they're tubes aren't extended and you can barely tell. They'll be more noticeable if they are trying to breed.

Edit: THOUGH, goldfish usually have to be sexually mature to do this. and the one brown one doesn't look quite there yet. The others are definitely old enough to breed, but i'm not sure about the one being chased.

Also, your birdy sounds gorgeous. I have 6 parakeets, I want an African grey someday.

3. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

Agree with the post above.

What size is the tank? It's good to leave each of them some room.

4. OP
    OP
    Daniel123121

Thanks a lot for replying. Im not sure whether it was a temperature change or not since I havent done a water change for a week. Just a bit confused why the two small brown fantails would be chasing the "chasee" if they're not sexually mature. Im pretty sure they are too young since I was told these fantails would be ready to breed in around 8 months from when I bought them two months ago. Do you reckon the smaller telescope goldfish is sexually mature?. I am some what sure that the two big ones are sexually mature as when I received them from someone, I was told that they bred once and the black fish at 18seconds were the only fry who survived.

Im just worried that the fish getting chased will get bruised if it's not breeding behaviour.

Thanks once again.

The size of the tank is 50 gallons.

5. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

It would come sort of breeding thing, almost definitely.

6. Fishaholic58

Fishaholic58 Valued Member Member

Totally off topic, but I noticed that you have a pleco in your tank. Is it a rubber pleco? Anyways, im having trouble feeding my pleco his wafers because the goldfish eat them before my pleco has a chance to. How do you feed yours??

7. OP
    OP
    Daniel123121

I have bristle nose plecos. Sometimes I feed them algae wafers but otherwise they just scavenge the bottom for the smaller fish flakes stuck in the gravel. They also eat alot of the algae naturally growing on the tanks.
    The goldfish often tend to avoid the really small flakes which float to the bottom so I reckon the plecos eat them when they move along the bottom. I have some pleco fry in another tank and some bigger ones and they enjoy eating cucumber.
    Hope this helps

8. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Here's the thing.

Goldfish are buttholes.

They will chase for a number of reasons, including breeding behaviour. Big but - in theory they should know what a female looks like, but in reality if you have at least 1 female in the tank, they often all get confused and chase everything that moves. My guess is here either 1. because hormones in a closed container are everywhere, or 2. they collectively decided it's a punt-thy-neighbour-against-the-wall day.

For this reason, I used to separate not by gender but by aggression, and just assumed the angry baby jail was all dudes.

The other reason, to my point, is that they are buttholes and will go after one another. Especially Ryukin (and by extension fantails) as they are much better swimmers and are also just very mad all the time.
    Like, if they gang up on 1 smaller/weaker/sicker/less mobile fish, then you got a problem. And that's what it looks like in your case. Look at her - she can't out-swim that, she's basically a ball with fins.

If this is going on 24/7, I would just take that fish out and start another tank. That's not safe. If only a few times a day (2 to 5), then eh.
    If she drops eggs in about a month, you'll know it's breeding behavour and you can put her back. They look way too young for breeding, so I somewhat doubt it, but they could also be chasing because the other telescope is chasing.
    If she doesn't, you'll know it's aggression.

Either way, beautiful fish!!!!! :eek:

9. OP
    OP
    Daniel123121

Thanks alot for the information. Ill keep a eye over them and see what happens, however I have only recently noticed small white bumps on the larger telescope goldfish fins. So it could be breeding?. Ill see how it goes.

10. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

:) They are very pretty so I hope all turns out well.
    But. Hold that bus. Spots where?
    Gill covers/face/set of fins closest to the face where they are attached to the body ONLY indicates breeding stars, so that's a male.

Any other fins indicates illness or at the very last a problem.

11. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

I’m constantly telling my heathen finpigs to just stop it already. Get out of the parrots feather cause I know what you’re doing and we’re already too crowded! Yeah. Nailed it in one word.

Love the birds. So awesome to hear something for a change! Thank you.
    If they’re harassing her too much, please take her out. Too much stress can open your whole tank up to problems. Heathens. Truly. :)

12. OP
    OP
    Daniel123121

Mainly on the closest fins and a few on the gills. I googled some pictures and I think they look a lot like the breeding stars.

It seems like it has stopped now, could have been breeding behavior as they seem to be getting along nicely now.

13. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

Thank you for updating with good news. Showed hubby the video. Now he’s missin the fancies. I said I miss the bettas but you don’t see any right? Told him he can get his own tank and do it all by himself. Funny. He doesn’t miss them so much now. Lol