Gold Barbs...?

TheEssigs
I saw gold barbs at the LFS this past Friday, and they were really beautiful active fish. I came home to do some investigating, and read that for a barb they are relatively peaceful.

OK, so ... Gold Barb owners... true or false?

Chief_waterchanger
True, they're real laid back as a rule. (As I have said before, there will be homicidal maniacs in all species that pop up... The manson, bundy, etc of the fishworld.) But they are laid back.

Barbrella
I had gold barbs for years. They were pretty, peaceful and outgoing. I really like them!

As always, get at least 2 females to one male.

bert2001
I have 9 of them in my 70 gallon and they are awesome. They hang out in one big shoal and don't bother anyone. Plus they grow pretty fast. In about 6 months they have grown by an inch each.

guppiemaster892
Yes. Gold Barbs are very peaceful fish and they are very pretty fish. Gold Barbs are just fun and very active.

susitna-flower
:;z Like all general rules, you have to look at all the factors. I have two kinds of barbs in my tank. Bala sharks, and Roseline sharks.....both barbs, but both are completely community tank friendly! Like stated, get the recommended number for their kind, as this goes a long way to compatibility in your community tank.

TheEssigs
Wow, this is an old thread. I never got the barbs.

sirdarksol
Wow, this is an old thread. I never got the barbs.

Yeah, it is an old thread.

Since it's been necro'd, though, might as well make the most of it.
Any reason you didn't get the barbs? Just decide they weren't quite the look you wanted, or didn't want to take the chance on temperament?

TheEssigs
;D OK

They really appealed to me at first, but at the time, I already had a group of schooling fish, I didnt want to add another sizeable group of fish. They do look really awsome in a large grouping, but I made the pass.

I would get them in the future, however, when space permits...

mts...

sirdarksol
An understandable response.
I'm glad that my gold barbs are willing to school with the glassfish. I like them, but they limit the other stuff I can have in the tank (they're still aggressive towards things with long fins), and I don't want to be stuck with a school by adding more to the tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DuaneV
Replies
Views
AlanGreene
Replies
Views
Biev
Replies
Views