Gold barbs are very frantic and seem frightened?

Absense

Hey guys! new member here as I've been browsing this forum/site all the time to gather info as needed, figured id make an account

Any way I've recently picked up 6 Gold barbs a little over a week ago now and felt that they were a tough enough fish to thrive in my 90 gal tank along side 12 Tiger barbs (5 green) and 4 Yoyo loaches.

This tank has been up and running with just the tigers and yoyo's in it for nearly 8 weeks after the cycle process (posted below), with the yoyo's being in first for 2 weeks based on the theory that they will be the "bosses" of the tank and have their territory cut out first, Being the first in the tank. the loaches are still fairly small, about 2 inches the smallest to 4 inches the biggest. I was finished adding the tigers 4 weeks later ( I did 3 a week to ease up the bio-load ) and now, 2 weeks past adding the Tigers, I was going to add the Gold barbs to my display 90gal but am hesitant and debating to take them back to the store or not. Also just to note, there is no issues between the tigers and loaches thus far after being room-mates for a month and only 3 tigers for the first week of adding tigers in. in-fact, the loaches actually chase and scatter the Tiger barbs quite often, it's kind of funny to see but in the order I introduced the fish, it was my theory that the loaches would be this way as to not be picked upon by the tigers.

I cycled with a spare HoB , Aquaclear70 that held only, the mechanical sponges type stuff and ceramic noodles that came off of my 55 gallon, I like to keep atleast one extra filter going on a tank at any given time in case of emergency Something i've learned from in the past from mistakes to have. And on top of useing a seeded filter I placed substrate from that same 55gal tank inside of a pair of pantyhose and placed it in the tank on the sand with raw shrimp to feed ammonia.

I've always kept up on my tanks, regular 25-30% water changes each week at minimum and test regularly after any adding of fish heavy gravel vacs etc with my test kit apI master test. Edit: forgot to mention that I treat the water with prime and my tap PH is 7.2 last I tested.

So, with all that out of the way the water in my 90 gal is currently 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 20 nitrate its due for a change but that's Sunday I do them so tomorrow. The tank has sand substrate (pool filter sand) and is decorated with taller fake plants, some rock formations I made with river rocks ( non- reacting) and a few terracota pots. Filtration I have a Aquaclear 110 and the Aquaclear70 ( no chemical filtration in it) and two bubble discs for some extra areation. Temps stay right around 25C sorry not sure what that is in F it goes up maybe 1C or down 1C during the morning-night so slight fluctuation there but that's due to cold weather here right now and my woodstove burning in the evening when I get home.

On to my question! so the Gold barbs I purchased have been in the 55 gal Quarantine tank for little more than a week now and they did the usual freak out a bit and swim up and down in the corner of the tank/on the sides after I acclimated them and put them in, they sat in the bag in water for 25 minutes and I slowly every 10-15 minutes added tank water to the bag before netting them out and releasing them into the tank, however to this very moment I can peek over at them and see them doing this STILL! and not just glass surfing, darting from one end of the tank to the other with NO regard to the decor or the glass on the other side, I hear the thunk when they hit it...has to hurt. so i'm worried about them and seeking advice if I should give them more time? more dark/less interactions with the tank? I'm at a loss of what to do here I don't want to take them back due to behavior I'm really loving the colors of them. I should mention the 55gal QT tank is in my bedroom (quietest and least movement in the house) and the temp is same as the 90gal sits around 25C +/- 1C its been running for 2 years steady with no issues at all aside from the move in my house from the living room to my bedroom. and has one resident "Bugs" my black moor that is 4 years old.

aliray

You might want to give them time to settle in and then add a few more to make the school a little larger. Safety in numbers. as far as schooling fish are concerned, Welcome to the forum and glad you're here. Are the loaches chasing the gold barbs?They might need to get used to their new tank mates.Alison

Absense

You might want to give them time to settle in and then add a few more to make the school a little larger. Safety in numbers. as far as schooling fish are concerned, Welcome to the forum and glad you're here. Are the loaches chasing the gold barbs?They might need to get used to their new tank mates.Alison

HI Alison, thanks for the reply, I had thought about bumping the shoal by a few members to see if that helps, and I probably will here this week. The loaches and Gold barbs aren't in the same tank yet, the golds are acting this way in my 55gal QT with only my black moor.

But the Loaches chase the Tigers around although they never really catch the Tigers they sure try, and even if at feeding time the Tigers always give way when the loaches come near to snag some food. Not too worried about the tigers/loaches interactions as they both can be a bit pesky by nature esp the tigers as we all know lol so I'm sure they can handle each others.

aliray

Do they have some plants for cover and to hide in ? That might also calm them down a little. Real or silk or plastic, whatever your preference is. Fish are prey animals. so need some areas to hide and chill out. Just a suggestion . Alison

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
erhwho
  • Question
Replies
Views
MartintheBNpleco
  • Question
Replies
Views
Leeman75