Gold Barb pregnant?

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, so I have 2 gold barbs in my tank, I've been feeding them a pinch of flake each night, which they eat quite quickly. One barb has recently gotten way fatter than the other, and I'm wondering if it's preggers. That they both get fed right alongside each other and they're not both fat is why I wonder. Tank's so empty cause they're my starting fish, just getting things going, there'll be more barbs in a week or so. Anyways, couldn't get a good picture of the fat one for a second opinion, so I took a video. Tell me what your think. Sorry about the camera leaving the barbs, I thought I'd see if you could see the pleco, but it's too dark on camera, I could see him pretty clearly with my eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVz4Y3Xq-vI

Sam999

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would think yes if if you see them chasing each other around and nipping each other on the side thats the male trying to make her release her eggs. They are egg scatters so they will be at the bottom together "wiggling" good luck! i have 5 gold barb

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Check the male's belly, it turns a reddish orange color during spawning. My four males have had the color for probably two weeks and the three females look pretty darned stuffed with eggs. There's been a lot of chasing but no one looks any different. They're supposed to lay their eggs when the first morning light hits them so unless you're an early bird you may never see eggs because they'll eat them.

-Lisa

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I do see them early in the morning(get to work between 6 and 7am), and they have been doing a lot of chasing and side nipping, but I haven't seen any red on the smaller one. Sadly I have no other tank to put the wee ones or eggs in, so I guess they'll be on their own if they hatch :'( As you can see there's not THAT much plant cover in my tank either. Wish I had some good option on saving some, but odds are low that I would even notice the eggs, I don't have much time before work to search the tank every morning. I mostly wanted to be sure that I wasn't making the fish that fat!

P.S. Thanks all for the answers.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
There was a lot of chasing and nipping and going in the bushes in my tank last night and I kept watching for eggs but saw nothing. I'm not sure how big they are or what color they are so maybe they were laid but I just can't see them. I know they're supposed to do it in the morning but maybe they're night owls like I am.

-Lisa

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Don't see any red on the male, maybe she's barking up the wrong sapling!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom