Gold Barb Bullying

Madraiasc

Hi,

I currently have a 64 litre tank which is home to a peacock gudgeon, a keyhole cichlid and a gold barb.

The barb is constantly chasing the cichlid around the tank. After enough of this, the cichlid changes his colouring. He turns his back end black, similar to the black dot at the end of the barb. Then he'll turn and bite the aggressor and that's the end of it for another hour or so.

I know now (after some dodgy advice from my lfs) that barbs should be kept in groups and mine is most likely bored out of his mind without friends. My only worry is that if I do get him mates they will all gang up on the cichlid and he will become so stressed that he will die.

additional info: barb is basically fully grown, cichlid and PG are still in teenage years so to speak. My lfs only has baby GB's

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm stumped as to whether I should add more GB's or just stock some other fish in general as I do want a community tank by the end of it but I am still new to this and have definitely made mistakes.

Thanks,

Boostr

Usually if you get a larger shoal of Barbs they tend to stay to themselves... Well that's how it is with my Tiger Barbs at least.

Madraiasc

Is there a minimum number of barbs to make a shoal?

DuaneV

I'm not a fan of the stocking and its why you're having a problem.

A keyhole REALLY needs more water than 15 gallons (like 20 at least), and that's by himself. They get to 4 inches.

Same with your Chinese Barb. They are an active fish and get over 3 inches and should really be in 20 gallons minimum. Theyre also a schooling fish and should be kept in a group of 6 or more, ideally.

I think you need to rethink your stock and rehome some fish. If you don't you'll continue to have issues. Youd be better off keeping the Peacock and finding him appropriate tankmates.

Madraiasc

Yeah I am aware of this now unfortunately.

I got some dodgy advice from my lfs but really should have done more research.

Rehoming isn't really an option where I am so I'm kind of stuck with the stocking and want to try rectify it to the best of my abilities.

Boostr

Ooh, time for another tank...

Basil

Is the barb Puntias saschI or semifasiolatus? Uh, I probably spelled both wrong!
Anyway, I have full grown fasciolatus and the largest is about 3 1/2 inches and thick. As mentioned, they need more space. I can’t comment on stocking with a cichlid as mine were originally with Tiger barbs and Queen loaches. However, the loaches were nipping their tails so I had to give them their own tank. Now they are with cherry barbs and Dadios. Mine are quite peaceful and only destroy my plants.
Two 40 b tanks would be a great size for fixing your stocking issues.

Madraiasc

It's a Puntias SachsI I believe. He's not too bad to the cichlid in fairness. He hasn't caused any physical damage so far, but he does like to chase the other fish. Just the cichlid however, he never goes near the PG.

So, I'm guessing there's no way to make them cohabit in the one 40G if I was to purchase it and some more barb friends?

Basil

I think the sachsI stay smaller.
Since I’ve never kept cichlids, I can’t offer any help there. But getting a 40 and a few more barbs would definitely be a step in the right direction!

Madraiasc

Solid advice. I'll see if I can source one. 40 gallons is a HUGE tank here, but I may be able to get a second hand one for a more reasonable amount.

DuaneV

Rehoming isn't really an option where I am so I'm kind of stuck with the stocking and want to try rectify it to the best of my abilities.

I mean, they only way to rectify it, in my opinion, is either get a large new tank (Id say a 55 gallon if you want to keep all 3) and up the Barb school to 6 or 8, or GIVE the fish to your local fish shop. Theyre currently not in a healthy environment that will just work itself out.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
MartintheBNpleco
Replies
Views
Tigerburp
Replies
Views
Kitty0525
Replies