Gold Barb Became a bully.

Discussion in 'Cyprinids (includes Goldfish)' started by RedTailSharkLover, Dec 5, 2012.

1. R

RedTailSharkLover Valued Member Member

So I introduced eight Gold Barbs (first fish) into my sixty gallon last Monday. All the water parameters are fine (tested today with API Master Test Kit). I just noticed that one of the barbs is getting bossy. I named it Pepper. Anyways, recently I noticed all but one fish have pieces missing out of their dorsal fin. All except Pepper. (S)he chases around the others constantly and nips their sides. Should I be concerned, or is this normal?

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Its normal for them to need to sort out a pecking order, I would give them a week to get everything sorted. It also helps to have the ratio at M=or<F. Ime these are pretty physical fish with eachother and its not uncommon for one of my females to have a mark every now and again from their aggressive courting.

3. OP
    OP
    R

Okay. Thanks! Unfortunately, I think we have a ratio of 5M to 3F, give or take. The retailer just got eight random fish from the tank they were in.

4. Matt B

That may have problems with that ratio or it could work, the males should be pretty easy to tell, more black and possibly green along their flanks and rosy bellies and fins. I'd probably just try to get 1 or 2 more females.

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Agreed. That has been my experience with them too.

It's tough to sex small gold barbs.

6. OP
    OP
    R

Yeah, when we got them it was pretty hard to tell. What I don't want to do is accidentally buy more males.... Now that would be a catastrophe!

7. Matt B

Once they're over 2" or so the black marking on along the lateral lines should be a pretty good indicator. The males will look much more solid when viewed next to a female's more broken up faded black band. The males will also develope green along the lateral line but that may or may not already be present.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice