Question Going to the surface fast.

AnglerTheStrangler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

So I have a male Betta who is older in age. He’s still pretty active and eats regularly. There’s just one thing the concerns me. In the evening when he resting he will be resting on a plant near the bottom of the tank for awhile and when he comes up to the top for air he does it really fast. Is there anything I can do for this? He’s in a 10 gallon filtered, cycled, heated tank. Could there not be enough oxygen in the tank for some reason?

Matthew7812

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It could be, try and take a little bit of water out of the tank so your filter is creating more surface tension. Bettas have a labyrinth organ that helps them breathe oxygen. Are you using any products in your tank like bettafix or melafix?

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Bettas will get air from the surface whenever they need it. You should add more resting places close to the surface so he doesn't have to expend as much energy getting air when he's at the bottom of the tank, which is that behavior you see.

AnglerTheStrangler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It could be, try and take a little bit of water out of the tank so your filter is creating more surface tension. Bettas have a labyrinth organ that helps them breathe oxygen. Are you using any products in your tank like bettafix or melafix?
No not using either. The only thing I use is Prime to condition my water for water changes.

Bettas will get air from the surface whenever they need it. You should add more resting places close to the surface so he doesn't have to expend as much energy getting air when he's at the bottom of the tank, which is that behavior you see.
Do you think if I add more stuff that’s near the surface for him that he won’t rest on the bottom so much? Do you have any suggestions?

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Do you think if I add more stuff that’s near the surface for him that he won’t rest on the bottom so much? Do you have any suggestions?
Bettas usually like resting near the surface, so if given the opportunity he probably will. There are many bettas that enjoy using the betta leaf beds or the floating log. Plants that grow up to the surface or float are also great options.

AnglerTheStrangler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Bettas usually like resting near the surface, so if given the opportunity he probably will. There are many bettas that enjoy using the betta leaf beds or the floating log. Plants that grow up to the surface or float are also great options.
I actually have a pretty good size algae magnet about an inch below the surface that he likes to rest on, especially at night. but besides that I don’t have anything else near the surface. I’m hoping that if I get some more things that he will be more likely to stay near the surface. Any floating plants you can recommend?

Matthew7812

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My favorite plant that grows to the top is water spangles. They are pretty hardy plants, but not widely popular compared to duckweed, amazon frogbit etc. Assuming you have good enough lighting you could give it a try. Remember that floating plants will block light going into the tank and therefore block other plants from getting light.

My betta usually hangs out towards the bottom too, especially at night. So I think this is normal. I get scared he is dead all the time though. haha

If he likes the algae magnet, he feels safe and comfortable on it so don't expect him to run to plants or a betta log/leaf. It cannot hurt to give it a try though! Best of luck!

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I actually have a pretty good size algae magnet about an inch below the surface that he likes to rest on, especially at night. but besides that I don’t have anything else near the surface. I’m hoping that if I get some more things that he will be more likely to stay near the surface. Any floating plants you can recommend?
Guppy grass, crystalwort, Java moss, or Cabomba are some of the ones I know bettas rest on.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom