Going to start selective breeding

OldFort Exotics

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It has taken me over a year but I have been able to set up two community tanks with guppies(1 male and 1 female) there where times when I never thought the fry would stop but keeping a close eye on the tanks I have been fry free for about 8 months. I'm pretty sure that should mean the fry I get next will be the ones I want. So I'm thinking it is time to turn my 2nd 55 gallon tank into a guppy tank, do have some cory cats and terras in there already so adding a few guppies at a time shouldn't be a problem..

My plan
I picked a female with a lot of blue in her tail(I want mostly blue guppies) and I moved her over to her new home last night(tank is fully cycled). I'm going to keep her their alone for a few days while I feed her some high quality food(blood worms mostly). This way I know she is getting enough to eat and let her stress level go down after the move.

after 4-5 days I'm going to move the male into her tank and keep feeding the high quality food after a week I will take the male back out and put him back into the male community tank. Then just keep her in the tank until she starts dropping the fry.

So with a bit of luck I should have some babies in a few months. Wish me luck!

OP
OldFort Exotics

OldFort Exotics

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Moved the male over today. Got to thinking it would be easy to remember the date I placed them together.

A week should be long enough right? Or should I leave them together until the fry show up?

New Threads