Going to start having an arowana Need basic help

FlowerhornPro

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Alright so here I start.
I have had mostly cichlids, like Oscars, Flowerhorns ,etc.
Now I am thinking to have an arowana for which I am going 2 buy a 200 US gallons aquarium (5 x 2.5 x 2.5 ft)
I want to know about the temperature for it and what kind of treats I should give once a week (Exclude Pink Mouse and Small lizards,as if my mum comes to know that I feed these to arowana she would surely through my arowana) and can I keep it with a flowerhorn or oscar in 200gal aquarium?
And how much do they grow in an aquarium.
TY in advance

April R

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
read this:

I wouldn't keep anything alive you don't want to end up dinner in the same tank with an arowana. They get BIG for a reason

hampalong

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It will start one, but it will grow at least 2'. I grew one to 2' in a 6x2x2. Not something I would do again, I was young and it was very cramped. It hadn't even slowed down growing either, was growing about 2" per month.

In nature, SA Arowana eat mostly insects, so prawns (the marine equivalent) are a good staple. They don't really eat much fish.

Mamajin

Well Known
Reaction score
Aye, you will definitely need a lid since they're jumpers. I've read they can jump up to 6 feet out of the water to snag insects off leaves and birds from low branches.

New Threads