Going To Set Up 5 Gallon Shrimp Tank, Advice Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Well, the betta died and the filter stopped working, and the filter media fell apart in my hand. So I decided to scrap saving anything in the tank and will start over with a planted shrimp tank, most likely RCS or another neocaridina variety.

Here is what I have so far:

Sinking Shrimp Pellets
Flourite Black Sand
Seachem Fourish Root Tabs
Seachem Flourish Trace
Seachem Iron
Seachem Prime and Stability
3 Pieces of Driftwood, Java Moss Tied On
2 Marimo Moss Balls
Handful of Duckweed and Frogbit
Low-Med Light LED Strip
Sponge Filter on Air Pump Rated for 10 Gallons
Thermometer
Aquarium Heater that is set to 78 F

The tank is obviously uncycled and I do not want to attempt cycling with the shrimp in the tank. I have only done fish in cycles so I was wondering if I could get some tips on a fishless cycle.

Also, what are some good plants for a shrimp only tank that do well in low-medium light? I was thinking a few anubias nana and some crypt wendtii but not sure about what else would be appropriate. I will say I am tired of anacharis, hornwort, fanwort, water wisteria, and bacopa!

Any and all advice is appreciated, I have wanted to try a shrimp colony for a while but lacked the space for a 3rd tank.

Last edited:

tokiodreamy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello!

In my planted 5g cherry shrimp tank I have:
Java moss
Java ferns
anubias nana
Other assorted anubias
Marimo moss balls

All are low light and slow growing. I have a fluval clip on light and the plants don't need any supplements! I stopped dosing months ago and they keep growing like weeds! I wouldn't bother with all the ferts esp since shrimp are so sensitive.

I've done a fishless cycle with media in a 5g bucket using TSS+ and liquid ammonia. Just use an eye dropper and dose the tank until 1-2ppm ammonia and cycle it the same way you would a fish in cycle.
You can also seed the media in another tank if you have one! Just place the media in the established filter for 1-2weeks.
Shrimp like to be in established tanks because it's hard for them to find biofilm to graze otherwise. I bought a container of Bacter AE from GlassGarten. I got mine off of amazon. I dose 1/32tsp 5 days a week and havent even gone through 1/4 of it and I've been using it for 6 months! It has kept my colony stable and has raised so many babies! I also feed lightly once a day (i also have a hord of MTS in this tank).
Just make sure to have lots of hiding places for the shrimp to go when they moult!

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Thank you so much, this is incredibly helpful! Do you have any experience with other neocaridina varieties?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Here is the tank so far, still slightly cloudy from setting up. I may end up buying some more flourite sand because I think I rinsed the last bag too thoroughly and lost a bit. I get the sponge filter today, I'll just put the sponge in the canister of my 46 gallon for a few weeks. Also looking at ordering some Bacter AE.

5gallonshrimptank.jpg

In regards to the color morphs of neocaridina, do they all breed proficiently, and are all colors passed down?

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
depends really on which kind of shrimp you put with rcs. If you put the same species they will likely turn brown soon. rcs breed very well. easy to breed, just make sure the tank is cycled (which i see it's not). Make sure they get a good food source.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
depends really on which kind of shrimp you put with rcs. If you put the same species they will likely turn brown soon. rcs breed very well. easy to breed, just make sure the tank is cycled (which i see it's not). Make sure they get a good food source.
Yep, not stocking this for at least another month or two, wanna make sure it is cycled and has plenty of live plants and biofilm.

So, say, if I stock ONLY orange sakura or the blue varieties, they will most likely turn brown in a few generations? Just to clarify.

As for the plants, I am thinking subwassertung (round pellia) and crypt wendtii, will those work?

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Make sure once the tank is cycled put the shrimp in. waiting will cause you too lose your cycle. I usually only add one species together, but @Junne can help you with that. As for plants you can add any kind. But i would do low tech plants like java moss and hornwort.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Make sure once the tank is cycled put the shrimp in. waiting will cause you too lose your cycle. I usually only add one species together, but @Junne can help you with that. As for plants you can add any kind. But i would do low tech plants like java moss and hornwort.
Aren't round pellia and c. wendtii considered low tech?

Ashto Brado

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Now, as is ur aquarium is good, but just some thick ground moss and a couple big leafed plants should be fine. Id recommend dwarf crayfish if u want some variety to add to ur tank. U don't need to typically wait for ur aquarium to cycle for a month for shrimp, usually i have it cycle for a week and have it nice and settled

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
@Ashto Brado a week is way to quickly. It takes 2-3 weeks to cycle a tank no matter what you add. Adding a dwarf crayfish isn't really recommended because the dwarf will likely eat the shrimplets. @Fahn yes those are low tech. If you want to add some seachem flourish for your plants, then make sure it doesn't have copper because it WILL kill your shrimp.

edit: forgot to mention to feed your shrimp pellets or wafers that are shrimp recommended. Shrimp also eat bio-film.

Ashto Brado

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
@Ashto Brado a week is way to quickly. It takes 2-3 weeks to cycle a tank no matter what you add. Adding a dwarf crayfish isn't really recommended because the dwarf will likely eat the shrimplets. @Fahn yes those are low tech. If you want to add some seachem flourish for your plants, then make sure it doesn't have copper because it WILL kill your shrimp.

edit: forgot to mention to feed your shrimp pellets or wafers that are shrimp recommended. Shrimp also eat bio-film.
Letting it cycle for a week is extremely quickly yea but shrimp especially were very hardy, and only rarely did the dwarf crayfish kill the shrimplets in my aquariums.

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Shrimp aren't that hardly. They are very sensitive.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Agree with @Sarah73, shrimp are very sensitive to water chemistry. The only shrimp I've kept are cheap feeder ghost shrimp, and even after proper acclimation and plenty of food, any sudden change in the water -temperature shift, slightly too high nitrate levels, certain ferts- would result in dead shrimp.

I'm reading up on proper care, and my understanding is that neocaradina are a bit hardier than your average feeders, but like most inverts are still sensitive to water quality, not to mention several times more expensive.

I do not want to drop $40-50 on shrimp to have them die overnight, everything needs to be addressed before they even go in the tank.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can start out with a color morph of cherry shrimp (blue, red, orange, etc) and if you are feeling bold can get caridina shrimp which do not breed with neos (I have tangerine tigers in with my blues, so I have orange and blue in the same tank).
Ghost shrimp are not a good example because they are considered feeder shrimp and aren't well cared for unless you are getting them from someone who has taken care of them (I have one out of four i bought still alive, atl east I can see that one).
Go with one color variant of cherry shrimp, cull the duller ones if you feel like it (if you start with high grade the resulting babies should match). Caridina shrimp require a little more care than neocaridina do, as some of them are sensitive to parameters (such as crystal red shrimp).
I feed mine flake food and shrimp pellets with the occasional veggie that gets tossed in (algae wafers are your friend in this case), give the babies some place to hide and feed and they will be good and prolific.

I have had no issue with losing shrimp that are healthy, which is not including ghost shrimp since they have issues with being feeder shrimp. I have taken shrimp shipped from hawaii and given them only temp acclimation then dumped then into their tank, I have not had a loss in this manner of "acclimation" and most of the shrimp go right to picking at the walls or multitude of plants they have.

tokiodreamy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I only have experience with high grade cherry shrimp and ghost shrimp.

Definitely cycle your tank completely before adding the shrimp. I'd cycle to 1-2ppm ammonia.
I definitely had a few deaths early on from being in such a new tank. I wish I had the bacter AE back then, I'm sure it would have saved them all. However, now my shrimp are on 3rd or 4th generations! It's so exciting to see those little clear specs when they're first hatched!
If you keep only high grade you'll get high grade offspring. However, any carriers of the recessive gene can pass it on to their offspring and can increase the chance of getting lower grade shrimp. But this is unavailable. However, if you only keep high grade this wont happen for a long time! And at that point you just separate any juveniles that are not high grade.
The only other advice I'd suggest is a good couple cave like decorations for when they moult.

Ashto Brado

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Shrimp aren't that hardly. They are very sensitive.
Mine did die to nitrate or ammonia spikes, but if the temperature spiked to about 84 from 77-78 all in a sudden from an extremely warm day and stayed there, they were fine. I've owned shrimp of all the spectrum, only blue shrimp were the ones I had problems with.

tokiodreamy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How soon should I start adding Bacter AE?
Hmmm... I bought mine way after I bought my shrimp. Maybe try to start dosing a week in advance. This stuff works pretty well. I dose 1/32 tsp for my 5g and i dose it 5 times a week. This is in addition to a regular feeding schedule but keep in mind I also have MTS to feed, some people completely rely off of this stuff. The little cup it comes with is way too large, so i bought an entire lot of stainless steel dosing spoons for around $6 on Amazon

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Ok, last question. I see a lot of talk about putting MTS in the tank. How are they beneficial? Will the uproot plants?

tokiodreamy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, last question. I see a lot of talk about putting MTS in the tank. How are they beneficial? Will the uproot plants?
They're beneficial for stirring sand. They help aerate it and keep it soft. They're not necessary unless you have a good 2 or so inches of sand, but some people prefer other types of sand stirrers like loaches. In my experience they havent uprooted any of my plants in either of my tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 52 66.7%

Top Bottom