Going To Make A New Betta Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Sharkaroid, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Sharkaroid

SharkaroidValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +28
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hi there.
    I intend to set up a new betta tank for my little sister, but I have a little question before.
    I have another tank with a betta. May I use the water from a water change to cycle the new tank? Will the nitrifying bacteria establish instantaneously?
    Also, do female bettas get their bellies full of eggs when they are happy? How to tell it apart from food bloat?

2. esqueff

esqueffValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +51
    Experience:
    5 years
    Hello!! To instant cycle the tank, you will need to use some of the filter media from the other tank. The beneficial bacteria needed for the cycle grows inside the filter media. Water alone doesn’t contain enough of the beneficial bacteria to really make a difference. As far as your other pregnant question I will let someone else answer with more knowledge. Hope you have a great day and good luck with the second tank!

3. Dch48

Dch48Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,368
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I don't think there is any such thing as an instant cycle but it can be done in 4 or 5 days. Adding some water from the other tank will help, but not much. I cycled a new tank in 5 days by using some water from an established tank, putting a piece of filter media from the old tank into the filter of the new one and then squirting some Tetra Safe Start directly into the new filter. For an ammonia source, I used a couple of shrimp pellets.You could even , if you have cartridge filters, put a fresh one in the old tank and put the used one in the new tank. My filters take 2 cartridges so switching one out at a time works really well. With a Betta, a cycle that fast would most likely not harm it so it could probably go in the tank right after setup. Of course it would be safer to wait though.

You could also put a little substrate from the old tank into the new one. The beneficial bacteria grows on all surfaces, not just in the filter. You can cycle a tank that doesn't even have a filter. It just takes longer.

4. Repolie

RepolieWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,127
    Experience:
    4 years
    Female bettas will be full of eggs when they reach sexual maturity and is in breeding conditions. Once they are full of eggs they will always be more rounded in the abdomen even after you haven't fed them for a few days.