Going to be getting hermit crabs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay, so throughout the month I'll be slowly getting everything I need for them. Right now I have a 10g tank, screen top, and some riverbed sand. I'm going to be buying Ecoearth to mix with the sand, a small UTH for nighttime warmth, a heat lamp for daytime warmth and so I can see in the tank, some large cholla wood, rocks for climbing, and some water dishes. Would you guys suggest making like a "pool" for them? I'm just getting two since it's only a 10g, but I'll have a salt and freshwater bowl (2 bowls) and then I was thinking of sloping the sand mix down and having 1/3 the length with just water. Or getting one of those "lagoon" bowls where it makes like a swimming pool. My coworker has kept hermit crabs for years so he's helping me make sure I set it up right, but I guess this would be more aesthetic? Or would they enjoy being able to soak in there?

TanksbyTim

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have kept hermit crabs before and in my experience the most difficult part of keeping hermit crabs is keeping the temperature and humidity of their habitat stable. As for your habitat design, I think it sounds really nice! Hermit crabs are very active and will enjoy a "pool" if you give them one, but it certainly isn't necessary. Be sure to feed a good quality food as well. Good luck with your hermit crabs and it's great that your co-worker is helping you!

OP
kidster9700

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm actually thinking of getting a terrarium that's like 3'x3' and maybe 4' tall. It's $25 because the top screen is warped and doesn't click in place. Which is totally fine.

biller

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The sand bed needs to be aleast 6" deep. The reason why is they bury themselves when they molt, and the sand needs to be deep for them.

Sent from my P900/Q900 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

OP
kidster9700

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, that's why I'm rethinking the 10g. The big terrarium should have at least 5" before the front doors so I can fill that with sand. If I do that on, I'll just put two UTH on it and let the warm to cold gradient be vertical. I'm going to get them lots of climbing toys.

Edit: or maybe I'll do two UTH during the day and then only one at night.

OP
kidster9700

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay, I have the tank and substrate! Plus a couple decorations, a heater, and some shells I grabbed for a couple bucks. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439601390.297700.jpg
I might be able to get the crabs next pay check!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom