Going to be getting hermit crabs!

Discussion in 'Hermit Crabs' started by kidster9700, Aug 10, 2015.

1. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

Okay, so throughout the month I'll be slowly getting everything I need for them. Right now I have a 10g tank, screen top, and some riverbed sand. I'm going to be buying Ecoearth to mix with the sand, a small UTH for nighttime warmth, a heat lamp for daytime warmth and so I can see in the tank, some large cholla wood, rocks for climbing, and some water dishes. Would you guys suggest making like a "pool" for them? I'm just getting two since it's only a 10g, but I'll have a salt and freshwater bowl (2 bowls) and then I was thinking of sloping the sand mix down and having 1/3 the length with just water. Or getting one of those "lagoon" bowls where it makes like a swimming pool. My coworker has kept hermit crabs for years so he's helping me make sure I set it up right, but I guess this would be more aesthetic? Or would they enjoy being able to soak in there?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. TanksbyTimValued MemberMember

I have kept hermit crabs before and in my experience the most difficult part of keeping hermit crabs is keeping the temperature and humidity of their habitat stable. As for your habitat design, I think it sounds really nice! Hermit crabs are very active and will enjoy a "pool" if you give them one, but it certainly isn't necessary. Be sure to feed a good quality food as well. Good luck with your hermit crabs and it's great that your co-worker is helping you! :)

3. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

I read a little and as long as it isn't too deep the pool will be great for them :)

4. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

I'm actually thinking of getting a terrarium that's like 3'x3' and maybe 4' tall. It's $25 because the top screen is warped and doesn't click in place. Which is totally fine.

5. billerWell Known MemberMember

The sand bed needs to be aleast 6" deep. The reason why is they bury themselves when they molt, and the sand needs to be deep for them.

Sent from my P900/Q900 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

Yeah, that's why I'm rethinking the 10g. The big terrarium should have at least 5" before the front doors so I can fill that with sand. If I do that on, I'll just put two UTH on it and let the warm to cold gradient be vertical. I'm going to get them lots of climbing toys.

Edit: or maybe I'll do two UTH during the day and then only one at night.

7. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

Okay, I have the tank and substrate! Plus a couple decorations, a heater, and some shells I grabbed for a couple bucks. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439601390.297700.jpg
    I might be able to get the crabs next pay check!

8. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

It's all done! Even went out and got three today. They're cute :)ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439688268.057090.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439688279.412674.jpg

9. el337Fishlore LegendMember

Omg cute! And I love the Lego house! My boys would love it if I put a Lego setup in the tank but nah... Not gonna work with my planted natural setting. Lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice