Going to awesome LFS soon

1. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

It's not really my LFS- it's about 3 hours away, really, but I'll be going to it early April on my way home from vacation. I'm going to try to plan out what I'll get so that I don't miss any big opportunities to get cool fish. I'll definitely be getting plants there, but probably choose on the spot. So anyway, here's my tentative stocking list for my new 75 gallon tank, which is about to be set up.

6 angelfish (I already have 3 and need more to even out the tension)
    2 blue rams, hopefully a pair
    6 golden neon tetras
    1 albino BN pleco once the algae gets going
    and maybe some of the following:
    4-6 hatchetfish
    6-10 harlequin rasboras/ some sort of tetras
    4-6 khuli loaches (it has a mix of sand and crushed coral substrate, will the be ok?)
    1 bamboo shrimp (I had one once, loved it, but he climbed out of the tank :(
    1 DG (in the 40g with my angels, gets along with them fine, but could stay in the smaller tank if he has to)

Of course, I wouldn't do all of those, but I want some suggestions on what I should get rid of or add. The tank will be heavily planted too.

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

My awesome fish store is an hour and a half away, and they have over 600 tanks of fish. My advice is to plan on spending some time there. Once you've looked at all the fish (a couple times :) ), make a list of the fish you want and then go have lunch or something. I find it helpful to leave the store to work it out on paper to make my final decision. It's hard to think clearly in the store :)

3. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

I take ages to choose!We'll be on our way back from vacation with my grandma, so I can't really go to lunch or anything, but I'll look at the fish for ages to choose which one I want. 600 tanks it a lot. I wish I lived in NJ, or maybe I don't- I don't like city life much. Anyway, I'll be spending forever choosing fish, and constantly be changing my mind. Last time I was there I got 3 angels, and one of them looks a lot like a blue altum... it was only $7 and I love it a ton, it's really amazing.

4. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I don't think I'd put kuhlis or any loaches on crushed gravel.

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

New Jersey is the garden state. Most of the lower half of the state is either farmland or pinelands, which are protected. The northern part of the state is essentially a suburb of new york....some think north jersey should be annexed on to NY. There's not much city living here.

NJ is a wonderful place to live, despite the negative image that is perpetuated by TV, movies, and fist pumpers.

6. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

I still think I prefer Washinton. When I went to NJ it just seemed to be streets and buildings.

7. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Sounds like north jersey.

I live on an island - It's very nice :)

8. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

I like Bainbridge Island, it's very nice there. It's just a pain to get there.

9. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

after seeing a map, yeah I'm sure that even much of south jersey would seem urbanized :) there's a LOT of national parks around you!

10. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

:)