Going Out On Vacation For Two Weeks...need Some Advice.

Gabriel De Paula

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I currently have two tanks, a 28 gallon that has been set up for 4-5 months now and a 100 gallon that has been cycling for a month. The problem I have is that I will be leaving from the 24th until the 7th and won't be able to feed the fish.

My plan is to do a very generous feeding the day before I leave and then a 30% wc on the 100 gallon since it is relatively new and a 50% wc w/gravel vac on the 28 gallon the day that I leave. What are your thoughts?

My main question is whether I will need to have someone come by and feed my fish once or twice while I am out or if they will be okay.

Farlowella Fella

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just out on a limb here and people can hopefully correct me. With the planned water changes, assuming you do regular changes as is, parameters should be OK.
What type of fish are in the tanks?
Feeding wise, stores sell vacation feeders and I don't think they cost too much. that might be the way to go, otherwise if you have a friend who's willing to feed them, that'll work too. I think 2 weeks would be a long time without food and feeding in excess will likely just cause ammonia spikes or a snail explosion.

My two cents ($5 with inflation)

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What types of fish do you have in the tank so far? Are you over or under stocked in the tank? If you are understocked with relatively peaceful fish you should be able to get away with two weeks of no feeding.
If not on those options I would have someone drop in twice during the week to feed them to prevent them from eating any fish that looks like sushi.
Vacation feeders are not a good idea, normally the fish power through them in very few days, specially if they are used to being fed daily or every other day. This can cause an ammonia spike which can be deadly for the fish. the water changes schedule is perfect, do a large 50% when you get back on the 28 as well.

BluMan1914

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What I would do in your situation is, the day I leave, I would do a regular feeding, then do a 90% water change, go on vacation, come home, do a water change, then feed them. Your fish can go two weeks without feeding.
Automatic feeders, are more problems than they are worth. They can at times malfunction, overfeed, could possibly make the flake food damp from moisture. Also, once the fish learn where the food is coming from, some fish could hog all the food, and be overfed.

dwarfpufferlover

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just do a 30% or 50% ( if I can ) water change, double dose prime and net any garbage floating around. Aquarium lights off and blinds wide open for some light. I also use some algae wafers once in a while to feed and after about a day if there's any left it makes the water smell of sewage.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have to respectfully disagree with BluMan1914 about the change in water. I wouldn't change the water on the day you leave. I would actually change the water a few days before you leave. This way it gives you time to make sure the tank is running smooth. We all know that when we change the water in the tank there is always a small thing that might happen, best to be here to resolve it before you take off for two weeks.

I just recently returned back from a three week trip. About 3 days before I left I did a 70% water change. I asked by brother in law to only feed the fish twice a week while I was out, and it should be a small amount of food. But this was for three weeks, your fish should be fine w/o food for 2 weeks but if you do have somebody come in to feed, only feed twice a week.

PeteStevers

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You also need to think about how much water you will lose to evaporation. Not sure about your tank but mine is an open top and in one a few days, I could lose almost an inch of water to evaporation. I've used the vacation feeder blocks before (for a week vacation) on a cichlid tank with no issue. Not even sure they needed it. It looked the same when I returned home. I did a 30% water change a couple of days before we left and another 30% the day we returned home.

OP
Gabriel De Paula

Gabriel De Paula

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks a lot for the great information guys, really appreciate it. My 100 gallon is a cichlid tank which is pretty new and is the only one that I am really concerned with considering its age but I added some filter media that has been running fine on an old tank that I just took down today so I hope that will help if any problems arise. The 28 gallon has otos, a betta, nerite snails, and neon tetras and is also planted. None are overstocked at the moment.

My current plan in regards to feeding is to set aside 2-3 days worth of food for the fish and have someone come by and feed them 2-3 times while I am gone for the two weeks. I am not at all considering getting an automated feeder since I have heard plenty of bad experiences with those. I might considering throwing in a feeding block in both tanks.

Would the feeding block cause an ammonia spike? Since I have cichlids, I have a feeling that they would devour the block in a day or two and cause a huge spike like someone mentioned above, any input on this?

tokiodreamy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A great tip is to use one of those 7 day pill organizers. Just put the correct amount of food in the days you need then put it on top of the tank. This way someone doesn't accidentally overfeed your fish! Esp if they know nothing about fish

OP
Gabriel De Paula

Gabriel De Paula

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
tokiodreamy said:
A great tip is to use one of those 7 day pill organizers. Just put the correct amount of food in the days you need then put it on top of the tank. This way someone doesn't accidentally overfeed your fish! Esp if they know nothing about fish
Great idea! I will definitely use that.

tokiodreamy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Gabriel De Paula said:
Great idea! I will definitely use that.
It's one of the best ideas I've seen on this forum! I'm glad someone mentioned it about a year ago. Saved me for when my bfs mom had to come feed my fish! She even said "is that all you feed them?!"

New Threads