Going Out Of Town

steAMYz

Reactions
Experience
1 year
HI everyone. I have a very ill family member, and it’s possible I will need to go out of town for several days (less than a week). I read on the site that my fish can go a few days without food. Is that true is a newly setup tank? I have only had the fish (8 black skirt tetras) for two weeks. (Fully cycled to process 4 ppm ammonia before fish were added)

What about the lights? I have anubia and java moss planted in the tank.

I will do weekly maintenance before leaving.

If you recommend getting an automatic fish feeder or light timer, please recommend a brand or include a link. I am a bit pressed for time trying to gather everything for this unexpected trip and could use help.

I appreciate any advice you have! Thanks

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Your fish will be okay without food for some days. I'd use a timer for the light (sorry no brand/link cause I live in Europe.

Best wishes for your family member.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've had fish go 2 straight weeks without food (sitter failed to show, I didn't have the $$$ for 7 automatic feeders at the time).
They were fine, only lost one, but she was battling a severe bacterial infection when I left, so I wasn't too surprised
None died from a lack of food.
And hey, best wishes for you and your family.

Cea22

Reactions
Maybe you buy some vacation feeders if you’re worried about it? Pet stores make these big blocks of food that sink to the bottom of your tank and will release slowly. But if it’s just a few days, you should be fine!

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cea22 said:
Maybe you buy some vacation feeders if you’re worried about it? Pet stores make these big blocks of food that sink to the bottom of your tank and will release slowly. But if it’s just a few days, you should be fine!
I wouldn't recommend those, they never work right for me and have only caused massive ammonia spikes and bacterial blooms.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Any cheap timer from walmart or a hardware store will work just fine.

OP
S

steAMYz

Reactions
Experience
1 year
Idk why I was thinking the timer for the lights was something special- I have those for the holidays! I guess my mind is just elsewhere right now.

Thanks everyone!

Nierums

Reactions
Experience
Just started
I would probably recommend an automatic feeder as well, this is the one I used -

It takes a little bit to get it all figured out, but you can feed 1 to 3 times a day, if you have a ton of fish you can do multiple rotations each feeding, and if you only have a few fish you can adjust the output to as little as you want.

My recommendation is to play with it a bit and adjust accordongly because of the potential to over feed and cause an ammonia spike or under feed and starve. I took a pinch of food that I would normally feed them, and then filled the dispenser and kept adjusting it until they were about the same

I agree with everyone else in regards to the light timer. I keep my lights on a timer anyway to ensure it's consistant.

If you can avoid leaving them without food, I would, they may be fine, but they may not and it wouldn't be a good way to go haha.

I'm sorry for the sick family member by the way.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
2 years
A couple of days, the fish will be fine.

If your getting close to a week being gone, consider the EheI'm automatic feeder.

I own 3.

Never failed on me yet.

New Threads