Going Out Of Town. What Do I Do?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Olivia Janae, Apr 16, 2017.

1. O

Olivia Janae Valued Member Member

I have a 37 gallon tank with three schools and a centerpiece fish in it. I have a Fluval Aquaclear 70 on it. I also have a Planted24 on it so the light is not going to be a problem, but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips. We're having someone come and check in on our cats but I'm wary of having them change the water in the tank. We'll be gone for three weeks and sadly we don't really know anyone in town!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  2. Nanologist

Nanologist Well Known Member Member

How long will you be gone for?

3. OP
    OP
    O

I just was coming back on because I realized (stupid me) that I forgot to say! We'll be gone for three weeks!

4. Nanologist

There's good amount of info here: Aquarium Fish Care While On Vacation Tips

But to put it simply, as long as the tank is cycled and the water quality is good you don't have much to worry about. Just do a water change right before leaving and one when you return. Then test the water to see if there's any concerning levels of ammonia, nitrite or nitrate.

5. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

The fish will be fine. Feed the morning before you leave, and do a large water change 12 hours later.

There's plenty of microfauna for the fish to feed on.

6. Nanologist

The largest concern I would have is feeding. If the person checking on your cats is trustworthy enough to not overfeed them then your good to go. Just make sure they know underfeeding is much safer than overfeeding them. Especially since the water won't be getting changed weekly.

Many people believe you could even safely not feed them the whole 3 weeks but I personally wouldn't.

Yeah, I forgot the live plants in the equation. You can easily get away with no water changes or feeding for the 3 weeks.

And most importantly. Have fun on your trip! I'm jealous and badly need to get out of town myself.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2017
  7. lyfeoffishin

lyfeoffishin Valued Member Member

They will be fine I had a hiatus from my dads house for 6 months due to school and I wouldn't let him feed or change water in my 55 planted. I was home most weekends but they did go a whole month once with nothing at all.

8. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

If your worried about feeding use the multi-pill contianers to split it up. I had to with my dad. His version of feeding my fish and cat is feeding the fish TO the cat. He wouldn't but... heh... he thinks I'm crazy to have fish. :)

9. Nanologist

Sounds like my dad and my cats would agree. I have to make sure the door to my room with aquarium is closed even if I leave for a couple hours or I would be very sorry when I get home. I've seen both cats trying to paw at and catch my Betta right in front of me during water changes.

I can't imagine what they would do without me around, but this seems more of a small tank problem. I'd think a 20+ gallon would be a little intimidating for the cats but if they're anything like my cats I still wouldn't trust them on a 3 week trip and I'd worry more about that than the water changes or feeding the fish. lol

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  10. OP
    OP
    O

This is all so much amazing information! Thanks so much guys!!!!! I was so nervous and I'm not at all now!

11. Nanologist

Good to hear! I just noticed your in Chicago. I'm in Evanston. :p

Maybe we can meet up somewhere public someday and then we'd both have a friend to babysit the fish and cats if needed! My girlfriend's mom is getting older and it's becoming more difficult for her to come take care of our two cats and betta when we're gone, so we've also been wondering what we'll do in the future if we leave town.

12. OP
    OP
    O

Absolutely! Yes! My wife and I are literally a block into Chicago directly off of the Howard stop. (Not the best area, I know) So that's a great idea! We're not going until August but in truth it's a great idea!

13. Nanologist

Wanted to move this conversation off this thread and realized I'm still to new to send a PM to you, so I posted on your profile page for the moment.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  14. KelceyMaeraei

KelceyMaeraei Valued Member Member

Just wanted to say that when I'm away from my tanks, I gab my boyfriend feed them every other day. That way if he has a bigger "pinch" than I do he won't be overfeeding.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice