going on vacation

1. neonblue1980 Member Member

hi everyone,

so, we are going on vacation next week for two weeks.

i'm having a young girl in the neighbourhood come into our house to feed our cats and fish.

i won't be able to do a water change because i am not trusting her to do it - she's only 11 years old - i'll just have to do it when i get back.

in regards to feeding...i won't be here to supervise the girl feed my fish. should i rely on her to feed the appropriate amount...or should i get one of those feeders that go in the tank and release food over the course of time? not sure what to do. i don't want to risk having a kid drastically overfeed my fish. but i don't know if depending on the automatic release tablets is wise.

2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

You know her better than me, but kids aren't morons. Just have her over once to show her how much to feed. I would go with the kid over the auto feeder.

3. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Get one of those pill reminder boxes ( you know with the days of the week ) and put the amount for each day.

Thats what I did with my pet sitter and it worked perfectly. No mistakes. :)

Make sure you do a good water change the day before you leave ( or on the day ) and have fun! :)

PS - I wouldn't waste your $$$ on the feeders. It's not necessary unless you have no one to come over, IMHO.

4. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Yeah I agree also. Show the girl how much to feed them and they should be fine. You can leave her some de chlorinated water for her to put in the tank when water evaporates

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. smee82 Well Known Member Member

If your vacation isn't that long you don't need to feed fish if your worried.

6. neonblue1980 Member Member

two weeks!

7. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Fish can go for two weeks without food as they are cold blooded. It is better for them not to be fed at all than it is for them to be over fed :)