Going On Vacation, What To Do About My Tank?

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by kncollins7, Aug 7, 2017.

1. kncollins7

kncollins7 New Member Member

I'll be going on vacation for a week and I have two goldfish in a 120G.

I live with my parents and they aren't comfortable letting someone come in a feed my fish daily. I'm planning on doing a water change before we go but I'm not sure about feedings. I heard goldfish can last two week without food but I'm not sure if it's true.

I was thinking maybe giving them some fresh food like spinach which usually last them a few days so they aren't starving for a whole week. If not is an auto feeder worth it? I need more experienced advice as I'm a newbie.

2. Tyler Fishman

Tyler Fishman Valued Member Member

Automatic feeder? A bunch of vacation feeder blocks? not to sure, goldfish love eating all the time I'd try the automatic

3. OP
    OP
    kncollins7

kncollins7 New Member Member

Thanks!
    Any automatic feeder recommendations ? :)

4. j

jlm418 Valued Member Member

If it's only a week they will be fine without being fed

5. DeerPark

DeerPark New Member Member

Yeah they'll be fine without food for a week. If your paranoid just get a small feeder block at most

6. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

Agreed, especially if they are relatively large they should be fine and will most likely be slimmer and healthier when you come back:)
    You could add a feeder block to be safe. The gel formula ones are generally the best when it comes to keeping the water parameters in check.

7. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

I would recommend avoiding the feeder blocks they just polute the water more than anything. Almost all fish can go a couple of weeks easilywithout food. Just feed them right before you leave. Wouldn't feed the spinach unless they always clean it completely up, could contribute to poor water conditions while you are gone.

8. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

The Eheim gets good reviews. Any feeder can malfuntion but a 120G would be hard to crash with all but a very massive overfeeding. They'll survive if they get no food.

9. yasha

yasha Well Known Member Member

A little late on the comment.
    Autofeeder with very light feedings is what I'd do also maybe some duck weed. Goldfish love to eat it but being as its a live plant it will help the tank while its floating in the tank. My goldfish in my planted tank would eat all my other plants if they were not fed for a few days.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice