Going on vacation. What do you do with your fish tanks?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lanlesnee, Mar 30, 2010.

1. l

lanlesnee Well Known Member Member

I'm getting ready to go to Gatlinburg for the weekend. This is my first vacation since I've had fish tanks.

It's been a lot of work to get them ready for being left alone. Went ahead and did all my water changes. Made sure the planted tanks lights are on timers. Made sure everything has been well fed the last couple of days, hand feeding anemones, crabs, sea stars, etc.

I think I'm as ready as I'm going to be. Someone is going to come feed my tanks on the 2nd day, so they all only need go one day without eating. It will give them a good chance to looking for left overs in the tank.

I left little Dixie cups on each tank for their feed.

How do you guys/gals handle leaving your tanks for a day/days?

I'm sure everyone is going to be a little different. I'm just hoping not to come back to a fish nightmare.

2. btate617

btate617 Well Known Member Member

I say have fun in Gatlinburg and don't stress.

I have left for a week at a time with noone stopping by to help and had no problems what so ever. Of course different species of fish will have different results, but for one day I wouldn't give it another thought.

Brian

3. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

I cant say much I havent gone on vaccation sence I've had my tanks set up...which has been a while. But from what you said they should be fine, and have fun in Gatlinburg. Wait...is that Gatlinburg Tennessee? Lol I live near there.

4. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Gatlinburg= fun times (even though I haven't been there since high school)!

Have fun and chill out. ;) Our reef tanks have been left alone longer than that with no ill effects, although our well-meaning neighbors sometimes don't get it right! Portioning out the food is a great idea. We left ours in Ziploc bags taped to the tanks. IMO it's a good idea to hide the rest of the food- it's pretty common for your fish sitters to believe the "hungry dance" and overfeed!

5. bubblynutter

bubblynutter Well Known Member Member

I'm going away for 4 days this weekend. I will be giving them all a feed early Friday morning, placing a large-ish piece of cucumber in both tanks, and won't be back till Monday night.

I am pretty sure my plump little buggers will be just fine! ;)

6. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Forgot to mention...

If your tank will need to be topped off while you are gone, I strongly recommend sitting a jug of top off water next to the tank and giving EXPLICIT instructions to your fish sitter. Our well-meaning neighbor once topped off our reef system with straight tap water! YIKES!!!!!!

7. OP
    OP
    l

lanlesnee Well Known Member Member

I was looking at my tank and notice one of my Emerald Mithrax Crab eating on one of the corals. He's moved to another coral and started on it. I've been trying to catch him to put him in the refurguim but haven't been able to.

8. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I just do my water changes & make sure the equipment is running & leave it at that. I don't worry about feeding or anything else like that. If I know a tank is going to need topping up while I'm away my business partner is very good with aquariums & he has keys to my house & garage. I just ask him to check on things if I'm going to be gone for more than a week. If you don't have an experience aquarist to check on things for you during long holidays, leave detailed step by step instruction for your fish sitter to follow. Let them know that the offence of not following your instructions precisely is punishable by hanging & they will get the message of how important it is to get it right. :)

For a couple of days though. Forget the tank. Go have fun.

9. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice