Going On Vacation And Know My Fish Will Be Underfed Question

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by nikm128, Apr 29, 2019.

1. nikm128

nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

So the title says most of it, I'm going to be gone for week and my grandparents will be taking care of the tanks for me. The only problem is that they'll maybe feed the fish lightly once a day, but probably even less. What would the best approach be? Feed them extra before I leave, slowly decrease the amount of food I give them so they get used to it, or try to get some auto feeders?

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Better to let them feed the fish lightly for the time your away and enjoy your vacation than over feed and risk an issue when you return

3. OP
    OP
    nikm128

Well yes, but what would be the best way to adjust them? I don't want it to just be a, hey you barely get any food all of a sudden, sucks for you. You know? Plus the discus need a bit more food than the rest so they're my main concern really

4. Epicoz

EpicozWell Known MemberMember

There’s automatic feeders or you could leave right sized doses for your grandparents and tell them to put those in each tank

5. OP
    OP
    nikm128

I could probably give them a good amount of food for them to put into the tank each day

@86 ssinit for the discus would you suggest I just do a really big water change the night before I leave?

6. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Big water change before you leave. Than let them feed them twice while your gone. That’s probably the best. Since you won’t be doing water changes less food is better

7. OP
    OP
    nikm128

Oh right I didn't think of that bit. Thank you for catching me :)
    Would 75% do, or should it be 80% or more?

8. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Do you do 75% changes now? If you do that’s good if you do less do what there used to.

9. FishMommer

FishMommerValued MemberMember

We went away not too long ago. I did a wc and good clean before I left. Wasn't sure how my brother would feed as he Does have fish. I think he fed more than me? And he was on a 3 out of 6 day schedule. I came back to high (for my tank) nitrates. Glad I checked. But other than that all were good. I was thinking of using a pill holder 7 day a week for him to use to provide portions. ;) Maybe next time. Also my sister just told me about something called the Daily Double? She loves it. She has multiple tanks and travels at least a couple times a year for a week or so.

Whatever you do Good luck with it all! :)

10. OP
    OP
    nikm128

Occasionally, just if I have the extra time. I'm back to doing 50% every other day so I just figured it would help to change as much as I can at once since I can't spread it through the week. I see how that could actually do more harm than good though

11. IceForever

IceForeverValued MemberMember

Just measure out two or three little servings of food for them to give the fish on certain days