Going On Vac, Just Had To Move Tank

1. Photobelle

Photobelle Member Member

We are leaving wed for 6 days. My mom will be feeding the fish but I was going to change the water Tues before we left so it would be good (weekly water change was due sat). I have only been cycled a few weeks. Well yesterday the shelf the tank was on started to say so we got a new cabinet and had to move the tank. But this caused me to have to do a 75% water change, take the filters off (I changed the media in the aqueon because it had a bad slimy black later and swishing wasn't working). The other filter media I left in it's basket and so only the water in the filter got dumped. I did use prime and stability when I got it all set back up (prime in buckets of water). I just tested the water so about 24 hrs later and pH is higher at 8 (usually 7.8), ammonia is 0, nitrites 0 and nitrates 5. I have 3 platies and it is 20g. So I think I kept my cycle (yay), but since we are leaving should I dose stability again to help? Can I dose just stability since the ammonia is 0 so prime isn't needed? Do you think maybe the fish just didn't produce enough ammonia to register yet and I should keep testing? Also should I do a water change Tues still or wait til next Tues we get back since such a big water change was done? Also why would the ph go up? The water was tested at the petstore and my alkalinity was low so i want to make sure it will be ok. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Adrian Burke

Adrian Burke Member Member

I wouldn’t water change again on Tuesday, just do one as soon as you get back. You could add stability or prime, I usually add water conditioner after my water change, the amount that would be needed to treat what I changed.

3. OP
    OP
    Photobelle

Photobelle Member Member

I did add both prime and stability after it was aetup, but I want to add another dose of stability just to make sure it stays cycled since I won't be here to watch it, I just don't know if I can and if I can without prime. Prime isn't needed since I have no Ammonia and already used it to treat the water.

4. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

I would worry about over feeding being an issue. The way I manage this when we are gone (suggestion from Rachel O’Leary on YouTube) is to put one day portion in a ziplock bag & tape it to the front of the tank. I do enough to feed 2-3 times if we are gone for a week.
    I would retest your water Tuesday to make a decision as to what to do since you threw away media.