Going On Vac, Just Had To Move Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Photobelle, May 27, 2018.

1. Photobelle

PhotobelleValued MemberMember

We are leaving wed for 6 days. My mom will be feeding the fish but I was going to change the water Tues before we left so it would be good (weekly water change was due sat). I have only been cycled a few weeks. Well yesterday the shelf the tank was on started to say so we got a new cabinet and had to move the tank. But this caused me to have to do a 75% water change, take the filters off (I changed the media in the aqueon because it had a bad slimy black later and swishing wasn't working). The other filter media I left in it's basket and so only the water in the filter got dumped. I did use prime and stability when I got it all set back up (prime in buckets of water). I just tested the water so about 24 hrs later and pH is higher at 8 (usually 7.8), ammonia is 0, nitrites 0 and nitrates 5. I have 3 platies and it is 20g. So I think I kept my cycle (yay), but since we are leaving should I dose stability again to help? Can I dose just stability since the ammonia is 0 so prime isn't needed? Do you think maybe the fish just didn't produce enough ammonia to register yet and I should keep testing? Also should I do a water change Tues still or wait til next Tues we get back since such a big water change was done? Also why would the ph go up? The water was tested at the petstore and my alkalinity was low so i want to make sure it will be ok. Thank you!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  2. Adrian Burke

Adrian BurkeValued MemberMember

I wouldn’t water change again on Tuesday, just do one as soon as you get back. You could add stability or prime, I usually add water conditioner after my water change, the amount that would be needed to treat what I changed.

3. OP
    OP
    Photobelle

PhotobelleValued MemberMember

I did add both prime and stability after it was aetup, but I want to add another dose of stability just to make sure it stays cycled since I won't be here to watch it, I just don't know if I can and if I can without prime. Prime isn't needed since I have no Ammonia and already used it to treat the water.

4. Mom2some

Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

I would worry about over feeding being an issue. The way I manage this when we are gone (suggestion from Rachel O’Leary on YouTube) is to put one day portion in a ziplock bag & tape it to the front of the tank. I do enough to feed 2-3 times if we are gone for a week.
    I would retest your water Tuesday to make a decision as to what to do since you threw away media.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice