Going on holiday for 2 weeks.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi! Last year when i went on holiday i only went for a week and just had my mums friend around 2ice during the week to check on the fish and feed them, but this year im going for a 2 week holiday, and my mums friend is dropping hints that she doesn't realy want to come and feed them this year. :-\

What can i do?

I don't want to use those block things as i know they can make the water horrible, and i can't realy afford to buy an automatic feeder. :-\

Any ideas?

Thanks

Gwenz

P.S. - Im going mid/end June.

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have used the blocks and it wasn't too bad. I had to do that for Spring Break when I was in college. I think tetra makes a new Gel one that is plaster free. I have seen them at Petco and superpetz. Other than finding someone else, or starving the fish (which they would probably be ok) then I think the block is the best option.
You'll just have to do a water change when you come home.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
yea ok thanks. I will keep a look out for the tetra gel ones.

Gwenz

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think the fish should go with you.. even fish need a holiday.

those feeding cubes/pyramids/(misc shapes) sound like the best option. it'll give your fish the least amount of time to go without food that's possible under the circumstances.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ok thanks for the tips, but my fish don't have a passport. :-\

Gwenz

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gwenz said:
ok thanks for the tips, but my fish don't have a passport. :-\
Gwenz
you're kidding?! your LPS doesn't sell fish passports? I find that very disappointing.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
lol, me too! ;D

Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ok, I found the gel things, they are the tenth ones down. Are they the right ones?

Im going to buy some otos soon as well, will they eat these as well?

thanks.

Gwenz

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
YUP- the Tetra Vacation ones, and maybe the Tetra Holiday ones

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gwenz said:
ok, I found the gel things, they are the tenth ones down. Are they the right ones?

Im going to buy some otos soon as well, will they eat these as well?

thanks.

Gwenz
excellent searching! that's the perfect product for your holiday. i can hear the fish rejoicing now - "food food food food!"

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
lol thanks. Yea, so will the otos eat them too?

Also, would it be ok, to put one in the 7.5gall even though there is only 1 guppie in there?

Genie - Which tetra holiday ones? there are 2. The gel ones (9th down) or the sticks (7th down)?

thanks

Gwenz

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the gel ones. And I don't know if the ottos would eat them. You might want to clip a leaf of lettus in there, but you risk it going bad. The tank with the guppy will get messy, and he will probably over eat, so I would be careful.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The tetra holiday gel ones say they are for coldwater, the vacation ones are for tropical.

Any tips for the one guppie then?

thanks

Gwenz

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
what is in your other tanks and can he take temporary housing in there? If it were me, I would either find someone else to stop in or just not worry about the one guppy. Because fish can live for a long time without food, but will kill themselves with overeating.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
hmm yea. ok. I realy need to find someone. :-\ Not sure who i could trust though. I don't realy know anyone where i live. :-\

The guppie could go to the 15gall, but i don't realy want to move him, he seems so happy where he is.

Gwenz ???

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you buy me a plane ticket, i'll stop by and feed your guppy for you. he probably would be better off in the 15 gallon, then you'd have all the fish in 1 tank and the holiday feeder would be less likely to have anyone overeat. Just sit him down and explain the situation to him first.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
lol. yeh. I might be able to find someone tho, hopefully.

Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If I can't, i think these might be better -

https://uk.tetra.de/tetra/go/39A813FF7E96C076A8E5663B39FD8651/?produkt_show_only=186&produkt_list=1&lang_id=20

Even though the table shows "8 - 10 fish" "13 - 25" and "26+" fish I could just put less sticks in for Bruno (my guppie). What do you think?

It says 3 sticks for 8 - 10 fish which is what i'd put in the 15gall, but couldn't i just put 1 stick in the tank for the guppie? Do you think it would last him 2 weeks?

thanks, I just got the idea that they might be better because i could control how much i'd put in.

Gwenz

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
those do look like a good idea and i think a stick or even 1/2 of one would be good for the guppy the entire 2 weeks.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
yea thats what i thought. My dad said half would be enough too. Thats what is works out to be anyway.

I think I'll get these. Its better IMO!

Gwenz

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom