Going from tap water to RODI

• Thread starter Leonfish1234
  • Start date

Leonfish1234

hiya
my 15 gallon fish only with one gsp frag has been on tap water with a conditioner that removes chlorine and heavy metals but of course my TDS is around 200 so bit of an algae / nitrate factory switching from canister to hob has helped alot. My fish and gsp are normal but i think if i was to leave it the fish might start getting stressed and get nasty stuff. my question is When i get my ro/di unit do i need to drain the tank or should i just use it for water changes from now on?
thanks happy fish keeping!

Jesterrace

Well Known
Leonfish1234 said:
Cheers thanks for the advice to count react the leeching should I do slightly bigger water changes
Many thanks
No, because then you are more likely to have stability issues with the tank. Just keep it to the standard 15-20% weekly and keep an eye on things.

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Leonfish1234 said:
hiya
my 15 gallon fish only with one gsp frag has been on tap water with a conditioner that removes chlorine and heavy metals but of course my TDS is around 200 so bit of an algae / nitrate factory switching from canister to hob has helped alot. My fish and gsp are normal but i think if i was to leave it the fish might start getting stressed and get nasty stuff. my question is When i get my ro/di unit do i need to drain the tank or should i just use it for water changes from now on?
thanks happy fish keeping!
Ok so I recently started using distilled water as I have very hard water.

Do not do more that %15 pure RO without knowing how that will change your water.

To big of change is death.

I first tested pure distilled and tap. Then 1to1 2to1 and 3to1 ratios. To see how it affected my tap water.

I personally monitor and use blend of tap and distilled to keep where I want.

If you plan to use pure RO once you drop to desired levels you will need to re ad minerals GH and KH to tank or will have none.

Here is when I did mine I took notes.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...nks-to-distilled-water-w-test-results.464838/

Top Bottom