Going Crazy With Choices

Phish_Phan
Can't decide between these two...... something tells me the Chinese junk is just that, and no idea where they got the 300W they advertise.... either way.....

Can someone weigh in in the differences advantages/disadvantages of these two?

VIPARSPECTRA Timer Control Series LED 300w 36"

Current USA Pro 36" 72watt

Jesterrace
Both are decent choices, although the chinese one actually has more power. The USA option has far more customization though.

Phish_Phan
Snagged this:

10% off coupon thingy made it $178, so I figured I would try it, and return if it's junk

Jesterrace
Be aware that light is super powerful so you will want to mount it higher up and keep it on the lowest possible setting for intensity. I've known some people that have ended up with basically a bleached looking coral because the light is too intense. I would mount that light at least 18 inches above the tank.

Phish_Phan
Jesterrace said:
Be aware that light is super powerful so you will want to mount it higher up and keep it on the lowest possible setting for intensity. I've known some people that have ended up with basically a bleached looking coral because the light is too intense. I would mount that light at least 18 inches above the tank.
Would that be the same as the other one? They both say 300W

Would I be better off with the 72W Current USA or whatever it is? Wouldn't I want the most watts possible though, in case I jump to a bigger tank (when.... when I jump.....)

Jesterrace
You are correct that the Mars Aqua would be better suited to upgrading to a bigger tank (although you will need to purchase another one if you want a 4-6 foot long tank). The additional wattage is great, but it is really powerful for tanks if it's too close to the surface of the water. Both 300 watt units are pretty much the same.

Phish_Phan
Jesterrace said:
You are correct that the Mars Aqua would be better suited to upgrading to a bigger tank (although you will need to purchase another one if you want a 4-6 foot long tank). The additional wattage is great, but it is really powerful for tanks if it's too close to the surface of the water. Both 300 watt units are pretty much the same.
I already know there will be a LOT of upgrades....... so for now this will hopefully work, and I will take your advice and mount it high, and raise/lower as needed.

I don't plan on corals at all really...... minus one Green Star.

Jesterrace
Kind of overkill for just one coral. That said, I'm sure you will add more and then be greatful for the light you have.

Phish_Phan
Jesterrace said:
Kind of overkill for just one coral. That said, I'm sure you will add more and then be greatful for the light you have.
Well.... one coral yes, but really only concerned with keeping an anenome, and I was told I needed new lights for that....

Well that escalated quickly. Got a coral today unexpectedly

stella1979
Awesomesauce. What did you get??

For what it's worth, when we needed to upgrade lights (way too early in our reefing journey) it was a requirement of ours that we'd overdo it for our current tank... in an effort not only to someday upgrade tank size but so it would be possible to put whatever light demanding coral we wanted in our current tank. Basically, I didn't want to buy coral to bring it home and watch it lose color due to the wrong lighting intensity or spectrum. We've got an LED that doesn't even run at half power and we've had good luck with everything from softies to acropora. Might as well plan for the long run, yeah?

Phish_Phan
stella1979 said:
Awesomesauce. What did you get??

For what it's worth, when we needed to upgrade lights (way too early in our reefing journey) it was a requirement of ours that we'd overdo it for our current tank... in an effort not only to someday upgrade tank size but so it would be possible to put whatever light demanding coral we wanted in our current tank. Basically, I didn't want to buy coral to bring it home and watch it lose color due to the wrong lighting intensity or spectrum. We've got an LED that doesn't even run at half power and we've had good luck with everything from softies to acropora. Might as well plan for the long run, yeah?
I got the 36”-48” Current USA Pro, and a 32” (?) Mars Aqua 300W LED.

Might be overkill for a 46g but I am thinking long-term!

Will likely try them both out and return one and buy an additional of the other.

stella1979
Phish_Phan said:
I got the 36”-48” Current USA Pro, and a 32” (?) Mars Aqua 300W LED.

Might be overkill for a 46g but I am thinking long-term!
Awesome!! But...

Phish_Phan said:
Got a coral today unexpectedly
What coral did you get?

Phish_Phan

image.jpg
stella1979 said:
Awesome!! But...

What coral did you get?
Not sure..... a Zoa of some kind.

Hard to get a pic because I can’t take a picture looking straight down at it

Latest threads