Going Crazy! Can't Decide On Tank Setup

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by sylviepld, Apr 12, 2017.

1. sylviepld

sylviepld Valued Member Member

Help! I will be setting up a 75 gallon tank in the next 2 months and I have been trying to figure out a setup for the last 2 months. I've really been thinking of a 'river' tank with good flow and minimal plants but most of the fish I am interested in need a planted tank. I was going to make it sub-tropical but I feel more limited in my choices of fish. Some of the fish I have considered are Giant Danios, Bloodfin Tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, Cherry Barbs, Fork-tailed Rainbow. I also really wanted a Tiger Pleco but it is more suited to a tropical setup. I really like the look of a large school of fish swimming in the current. I already have Rummy Nose Tetras in my 45 tank so I don't want to duplicate. I babble on.
    I would really like some ideas on a fun setup for my 75 gallon. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

PS I will have a canister filter and a power head to create flow.

2. M

MrPancake3 New Member Member

I don't know to much but there is a fish called a dwarf puffer. they are freshwater puffer fish and they look pretty cute! 5357e7eb65608.jpg

3. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Dang that would look good. Google some tank ideas if you want. And the other option is you just buy more tanks. :)
    Jokes aside, if I ever thought to hard about how I wanted my tank set up it would never happen. Mines pretty basic, 45g with sand, rock cave for the catfish and BN pleco (and who ever gets on his good graces that day) and some plants to keep the gourmi happy. I planned on doing a school of fish but then I got my 8 inch goldfish back so my tank has kinda shifted over to a cold water tank. My 10g I want to do planted, my 8g betta is blue gravel with red branches sticking out the top. (Giant vase)

4. Rivermonster

Rivermonster Valued Member Member

5. M

MrPancake3 New Member Member

dwarf puffers are a little feisty and can nip a little. they like larger tanks and are only a little more than an inch long, so maybe a little like bettas. (i got that all from the link)

6. Rivermonster

Rainbow fish aswell. Some nice lighting on them electric blue rams and a good shoal of tetras can look awesome with or without plants with a dark background

7. OP
    OP
    sylviepld

I though rams were aggressive. Could I have them in with some peaceful shoaling fish?

8. OP
    OP
    sylviepld

I like Rainbows but My LFS doesn't tend to carry Rainbows. They only have the Furcata Rainbow which I love but they need a fairly well planted tank.

9. Rivermonster

If your tank is deep its helps, and you provide rams with rocks n wood they will be fine with tetras. The rams will occupy terrortries and you'l find they will live tetras and easily the larger tetras, the male rams will fight each other more likely than anything else

10. 2211Nighthawk

I had a German blue ram with tetras and danios and he never bother anyone. The only one he teases is an African butterfly fish I put him with but the ABF has the long fins. As long as he doesn't move he's fine. :) Tetras and that kinda stuff I think are fine. But the rams are warm water fish. 78-85F I think it says on this site for a GBR. I have mine just shy of 80.

11. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I am getting a pair of Bolivian Rams to go with my tetras and DG. also going to get rasboras and cories, to add to the mix. I was told they would do well with shoals/schools. Not sure about the GBR though. Keeping my tank at 75F currently.

12. 2211Nighthawk

GBR are a bit more finicky water quality wise (from what I've heard, not experienced). Bolivians I've also been told are the better of the two but I think GBR are prettier.

13. OP
    OP
    sylviepld

That's too bad about the temperature. I would have loved to get a pair. I have also read that it requires 'expert' care which I am definitely not!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  14. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

It sounds like you want a river tank. So do a river tank! Do a giant school of bloodfin tetras, gold barbs, or giant danios (or smaller schools of two of them), and add a rainbow or red tailed shark for a centerpiece. Or go all out on the river setup and get hillstream loaches! Rocks, sand, crypts, and jungle vals. It would be awesome watching a big school or two swimming against the current. Don't overcomplicate it... Things start getting all muddy when you overthink it. At least, that's what I'm finding out myself.

15. OP
    OP
    sylviepld

Thanks for the input. I would like a centerpiece fish. I'll have to research the red-tailed shark to see if it gets to big and how it would get along with the others.

16. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

They get about 6" max, and they can be territorial. But in a tank of that size, with peaceful mid-dwelling schools, one should be fine. Just add a couple caves for your shark to call his own. They are really neat fish!

17. SamuelKimD

SamuelKimD New Member Member

Get dwarf puffers they are the best fish around. I have three in my planted tank and they are the smartest little things. Just they are picky eaters so be prepared.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice