1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

Going blind

1. Fettuccini

Fettuccini Well Known Member Member

I think my betta is about done for. I've only had him for 4 months or so, but I think he was fairly old already. If not, he wasn't exactly in top shape. Besides the big lump in front of his tail that you can see in the picture, when I got him he had a big spot over one pupil the color of his scales, and always seemed to have a bit of a hard time seeing on that side. Other than that, he's always looked and acted pretty healthy and was a good eater, even though he would miss pretty often when he made a grab at his food.

Well, now that spot has completely covered his left pupil, and is spreading fairly quickly on his other one. I've noticed for the last few days that he's had a harder time finding his food, even right in front of his face, so I have a feeling it won't be long before I'll have to put him down to avoid having him starve to death. It sucks, but I don't think there's much else to be done about it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SuzanaBanana

SuzanaBanana Valued Member Member

Im very sorry to hear this, but at least he was able to know what a loving family/owner is

Advertisement

3. S

Subha92 Valued Member Member

It looks like a cataract. But sorry to say that we don't have any medication to solve the problem. The only way i could suggest you to feed you betta by your own hand. By this way he would not starve atleast.
    After putting you fingers with the food, rub the food along with your two fingers so that he could sense the presence of the food even he could not view that one. Better luck.

4. Graphix

Graphix Well Known Member Member

Apparently this is a known issue with dragonscale bettas, you can train him to eat food by tapping on the glass whenever you feed him, this way he'll be able to find food even when he eventually does go blind.

5. OP
    OP
    Fettuccini

Huh, I didn't know that. Honestly, I didn't even know what kind he was when I got him. It's definitely good to know there's a chance I can keep him fed though.

6. Graphix

Graphix Well Known Member Member

Be sure to tap the glass every time you feed, that way he remembers the routine of feeding. Would also help if you're consistent with your feeding times. Good luck!

7. OP
    OP
    Fettuccini

Yeah, I usually feed him at around the same time every day, and always in the same spot so he can find it. I'll definitely start doing the tapping thing from now on.