Going Blackwater

1. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

How do you convert a tank to Blackwater?
    I want to convert my community tank to a dark environment, that's the way I like things. My fish would also appreciate a tank that is similar to their natural habitat in the wild.

Here's my current tank, it looks a bit different today.
    IMG_9872.jpg
    It's currently decorated with artificial decorations (because I cannot grow live plants at all) and has driftwood, lava stone, and black sand.

My main reason for wanting to do this is because of my obsession with crystal clear water, which I cannot seem to get no matter how much filtration I put in this tank.
    I want to have stained water with leaf litter and broken branches scattered across the bottom of the tank. I have scavenger fish and shrimp so that would be perfect for them.

Someone that knows about Blackwater, let me hear from you on this thread.
    I want to create the environment correctly.

2. Velma

Velma Well Known Member Member

What is your ph as it stands right now? Blackwater tanks have a lower ph so I want to be sure it’s not too low to start with. I believe all you really need to do is add things that release tannins very slowly as not to change the ph too quickly. Mopani driftwood releases loads of tannins so a few pieces of those would be a great option along with leaf litter. Also, what fish are in the tank? You want to make sure they can handle a low ph (most fish can deal with fluctuating ph levels, but better to check and be safe).

I’ve been planning on doing a black water tank myself but I have a mystery snail and he wouldn’t be able to handle low ph like my other fish would.

3. OP
    OP
    Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I currently have a high pH, it's sitting at 8.6 right now.

11 Cherry Barbs
    (?) Ghost Shrimp
    6 Albino Cory
    1 Bristlenose Pleco
    1 Honey Gourami

I do not necessarily have to officially have blackwater, I just want to have lots of tannins with dark water.