Going Bioactive for a Jumping Spider?

JustAFishServant

Hey all! So, I haven't shared the story of this female Apache Jumping Spider (Phidippus apacheanus) that I was given a few months back. A family member had caught her while at work and decided to bring her home to me! I couldn't come up with a name and settled on the most creative one of all...Apache! Since watching her go downhill and "bringing her back", I've since decided to purchase a new enclosure! Measuring 3.75×3.75×6 in/9.5×9.5×15.24 cm/95.25×95.25×152.4 mm, it should be arriving in roughly 5-10 days. Since it's not meant to be an enclosure, I will be drilling many small holes to allow proper air flow! I've learned over the months that Apache Jumping Spiders enjoy moderate humidity (around 50%), which a bioactive enclosure would most certainly provide! However, I was wondering how I would do this in such a small container? The bottom is 1" deep (hopefully not too shallow for a bioactive with the substrate, activated carbon, and drainage layer), it will probably have Springtails and Dwarf White Isopods as the "cleanup crew" (since 15mm long Apache seems far too big to target them), and oak leaves that I've harvested and sanitized myself to keep the crew happy and fed! Anywho, how does this setup sound? Will it work even with such a shallow bottom? Questions, comments, and opinions are highly appreciated! Thanks, all!

Edit: also, any ideas for live plants?

taj13

That sounds really cool! You'll have to post photos when you get the enclosure finished. What about some type of small succulent, which wouldn't require a lot of water and would probably have more shallow roots? Good luck with your new family member!

JustAFishServant

taj13 said:
That sounds really cool! You'll have to post photos when you get the enclosure finished. What about some type of small succulent, which wouldn't require a lot of water and would probably have more shallow roots? Good luck with your new family member!
Thank you, friend! I was thinking of a Pilea 'Dark Mystery'! I had recently "rescued" this plant from a Lowe's store that forgot to water it; it wasn't looking good at all, but with good water and a bit of sunlight, it's been doing well! It isn't a very fast grower which makes me think that it may be suitable for this enclosure, however you might be right about the depth of the roots...

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom