going away

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by zergdaddy, Mar 31, 2010.

1. z

zergdaddy New Member Member

Hello there I have just recently got my to cycled.I am leaving for 4 days and i am worried about leaving my fish.What steps should i take to make sure everyone is ok when i get back.How long can fish go without eating?Will I need to get a timer to turn lights on and off or will they be ok?Thanks.

2. Cichlidude

Cichlidude Valued Member Member

4 days? Nothing to worry about. Healthy fish can go a week or longer without food.

3. pepetj

pepetj Well Known Member Member

x2.

Nothing should happen to them. Just feed them before you leave and upon arrival.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

4. midthought

midthought Well Known Member Member

I just left my two bettas alone from Thursday afternoon until Monday night and they were just fine. Didn't even look skinny. I did a smallish water change before I left though, since I usually do it over the weekend.

5. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Seeing as the tank is just cycled I would do a 25% water change & leave it at that. Leave the lights off if you don't want to buy a timer, (though it's a good idea). Don't worry about feeding at all. Fish can go a couple of weeks without food no problem. Don't get tempted to give them an extra large feed before you go. Anything left over will just create an ammonia spike in the tank & that's when your fish will be in danger.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice