Going away should I remove sand & water from empty tank?

Greenfungaloo

Hi! So my fish died and now i have 2 tanks, both have no fish. The current is an empty 75 gallon tank running in the basement and im going away for 10 days. However in my previous tank i left the sand / mud (?) With the intention of moving it to the current tank, but now it has been sitting without movement in about 1 inch of water. Should i still move it or is it gone bad and throw it out?
[/QUOTE]
Please, im leaving in 30 minutes - urgent!

mattgirl

If it is just sand I would start with fresh. Had the tank been filled up and filter running there probably wouldn't have been a problem with the sand. It could just be rinsed and re-used but if some disease killed the previous occupants I would just toss it.

Upvote 0

Greenfungaloo

If it is just sand I would start with fresh. Had the tank been filled up and filter running there probably wouldn't have been a problem with the sand. It could just be rinsed and re-used but if some disease killed the previous occupants I would just toss it.
Nono the sand was perfectly fine, my fish died from a different reason which was unrelated to the quality of ths tank, i was just asking if the sand was sitting too long to be safe / have any use anymore?
It also isnt actually sand but rather flourite (a form of mud i beleive

Upvote 0

BettaFishObsessed

Why exactly did your fish die? Was it some illness, old age, or do you not know?

Upvote 0

Greenfungaloo

Why exactly did your fish die? Was it some illness, old age, or do you not know?
A mix or stress and something im unsure of but rn im going off the assumption the lower fish tank is safe. Nonetheless the upper one is definitely safe, but it has a leak. So should i mive sand or nah?

Upvote 0

BettaFishObsessed

A mix or stress and something im unsure of but rn im going off the assumption the lower fish tank is safe. Nonetheless the upper one is definitely safe, but it has a leak. So should i mive sand or nah?
I would mix up the sand first and rinse it out (with dechlorinated water obv), but as long as your fish didn’t have any diseases or anything, and it hasn’t been sitting for any longer than a week and a half-ish, I would say move it.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Bruinfishkeeper1
Replies
Views
FishFor2018
Replies
Views
MacZ