going away for a month

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by baggy007, Dec 19, 2012.

1. baggy007

baggy007Well Known MemberMember

hi guys

im going to new zealand for a month in 3 weeks time and the closer its getting the more concerned im getting about the welfare of my tank

my plan of action is to have someone come in and feed them every other day but as for w/c and such none will be done for 4 weeks, i have just cleaned my cannister filter so thats fine and 2 days before i go im going to do a big w/c with a good vacuum and put a bag of carbon in an internal filter

i think they will be fine for 2 maybe 3 weeks but 4 is pushing it so i thought for the last 2 weeks when they get fed dose the tank with prime at the same time (every other day)

does this sound ok? i cant think of anything else i can do

any suggestions welcomed

thanks in advance

2. Moneypenny1967

Moneypenny1967Valued MemberMember

Cant help with tank/holiday maintainance except for maybe an automatic fish feeder.Where are you going in NZ?In three weeks time will be at a DOC (Dept of Conservation)Campground. in the Coromandel in North Island.Make sure you have plenty of sunscreen, as 15 mins in the sun will get you sunburnt if your not careful.When you are here dont forget to try jelly tip iceblocks.

3. OP
    OP
    baggy007

hi moneypenny:)

i have the fish sorted feed wise its just the water conditions im worried about, a month is a long time without any

as for my trip to nz im staying in hastings napier, i was over there 3yrs ago, lovely people and awesome country

what are jelly tip iceblocks?

4. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

5. OP
    OP
    baggy007

thanks ken:)

was just reading that link which you posted on sugarjunkies thread

have you any suggestions as how to keep the water conditions from getting bad? i know a week without food should be ok so could i just feed them once a week for 4 weeks or would that be to severe?

thinking less food=less waste= water quality staying better for longer

6. Aquarist

Hi Baggy,

If you can have someone to feed your fish once a week while you are away, I'm sure your fish will appreciate it. :)

Do large water changes before you leave/gravel vacuums and hopefully everything will be ok when you return. Use caution not to over clean and remove too much beneficial bacteria that could create a mini cycle with increased ammonia levels.

Pre- measure the food prior to leaving, that you want fed each week and hide the rest of the food.

Ken

7. OP
    OP
    baggy007

thanks ken:)

i feel a bit better now that i know they should be ok with the weekly feeding so the water conditions shouldnt get to bad

just one last question though, i will put the feed into 4 separate pots but how much do i put in? 1 days usual feed or 2 days or would that be defeating the object?

thanks

8. LyleBWell Known MemberMember

As far as day to day care, the articles listed give some tips.

If you are uncomfortable with no water changes, here is what I would do.

1) Find a trustworthy person to feed, check for major malfunctions daily or every other day.

2) Prepare a new trash can or storage tub with treated water, place a heater near the bottom and an air stone for some circulation in it. Mark it plainly.

3) Provide another empty trash can/tub and a new, two gallon plastic pitcher.

4) Once a week, or once mid-trip, have the person dip however many pitchers of old tank water out of each tank and dump it into the empty trash can.

5) Then have them top off each tank with the pre-treated/heated water. Could also have them top off the tanks daily from this supply as needed.

This may seem elaborate, but will eliminate the possibility of any major mistakes, and make it a pretty easy job for your helper. It will allow you to rest assured that water parameters aren't getting too far out of whack.

9. Aquarist

Hello,

I would place enough food for 1 day into each pot. Just a normal feeding.

Ken

10. OP
    OP
    baggy007

thanks for the suggestion lyle but there is no way i would trust him to do that for me but i am greatful for him coming to feed them

and thanks ken i feel much better now

thanks guys

11. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

I wouldn't trust someone who wasn't a competent fish keeper to do that stuff either baggy your not alone :) I think you will be in good hands with Kens advice

12. Moneypenny1967

Moneypenny1967Valued MemberMember

Jellytip iceblocks are vanilla ice cream on a stick with a red jelly layer at the tip and covered all over with thin chocolate.:;google.Yummy:)

13. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I wouldn't worry about changing the water for the month. The fish will be fine for that time.

14. OP
    OP
    baggy007

well its time to do my big clean of the tank as im of to NEW ZEALAND TOMORROW :;banaman:;banaman:;banaman:;banaman:;banaman

got myself a timer for the lights, fresh charcoal for the filter and have done 4 pots of food for there weekly feed, ive told my friend not to feed them anything else but im hiding their food so theres no temptation

ive a lot of driftwood in there and i imagine quite a lot of mess under it so im guns pull the lot out to make sure i get all the rubbish out

:;th for sand, really easy to clean

might do a little rescape as i go :p

15. OP
    OP
    baggy007

hi guys:)

well just got back from new zealand and was a bit nervous about what i was coming back to but all is well;)

i did a head count and everybody is there and a water test and the ammonia was .25 so i think my tank stayed pretty good for the month i was away

would just like to say thanks for all the advice i received to help keep my fish safe

thank you

16. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

glad to hear it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice