Going away for 10 days, and Pygmy Cories Question

1. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Tomorrow, I'll be leaving for 10 days. I'm bringing my ADF's and betta with me, where they'll be set up in a 3 gallon Kritter Keeper for the time, but I was wondering, should I bring the Cories?

They seems pretty self sufficient, to me. They eat whatever's left over from the MTS, and eat micro-organisms and algae off the plants, driftwood, and tank walls...

So, do you think they'll be ok if I dropped in a tiny piece of an algae wafer, and let the snails, shrimp and cories do their thing, while I'm gone? (I hope that logic makes sense LOL) The tank just got a big water change yesterday, and no ones been fed in two days (tuesday), to total a fasting period of four days before the trip.

2. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Pygmy corys don't eat algae. I'm not sure I'd leave them for 10 days with essentially no food.

3. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Well they're eating something off the tank walls LOL What ever it is, they like :rolleyes:

My thoughts as well, but I'd hate to bag them up and drive them 10 hours, then move them into water that had ammonia in the tap >.< I am bringing with me two gallons of the water here, but I can't not change the water for ten days (unless I wanted to use lots of Prime.....).

4. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Did you look into having someone care for your tank while you're gone? Now that you're leaving tomorrow, it doesn't give you much time to set something up.

I have a pet nanny on speed dial. :;rocker

5. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Not in a dorm, I don't :/ My room mate is leaving tomorrow, and coming back next Thursday, though. So she'll only be gone a week...

Its a win/loose getting these guys LOL I just got them a week ago, and they were the last ones there, for like 3 weeks. But they can be so sensitive, that I don't really want to risk bringing them with me to the yucky water that we have back home :/ Its like "10 hour car ride, and 0.25 ammonia, or going hungry for a couple days...?" >.<

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

It takes fish a long time to starve to death - 10 days is nothing.

7. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I know, but they're so littllllllle >.<

Do you think, since the tank hasn't been fed in a couple days, and I did a water change yesterday, that in the morning a couple frog pellets or a 1/4 of an algae wafer will be ok? The tank is like 80% plants LOL

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I don't understand.....should you feed them before you go? absolutely. Should you feed them 3 days worth of food? absolutely not.

9. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I have to admit, this is one of the reasons I don't think highly of dorm room fish tanks. :;2cents

10. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

No, not a lot lol They don't like "solid" foods anyway. They eat the powdery left overs from the snails and shrimp, who will be staying, which is left over from the frogs (if that makes any sense).

I just didn't think about the fact that spring break was a week away lol Other than that, I have no problems (except the ever present Multiple Tank Syndrome XD) :)