Going away for 10 days, and ADFs

1. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I'll be going home for 10 days next week. While I know my betta, Chi, would be ok, I was wondering about my frogs. Will they be ok for that long with out food?

I could bring them with me, if I needed, just keep in mind the 10 hour drive I have...

2. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

You could load the tank up with small shrimp. 10 days is pretty long. Perhaps somebody else will know the answer.

3. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

You can only buy RCS and other expensive shrimp here lol

4. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I can get ghost shrimp for 49 cents at petco. You could also lower the tank temp a little to slow down their metabolism.

5. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

No Shrimp at my PetCo. And my heater is preset. I already thought of that lol

6. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

load them up on food the week before you leave? I wonder if they could catch guppy fry.

7. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I think if I fed them any more, they'd explode LOL They're little fatties XD

They could, I'm sure. When I first started, and got ADFs, I got guppies because the internet ad they'd eat fry. 5 years later, look where thats got me :rolleyes:

But fry are good at hiding. What on earth would I do with guppies?

8. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

cryostasis. this solved all of your problems. I don't have any more ideas. I'm going to bed. I'm beginning to wonder if you ever sleep.

9. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Scary o.o

I don't *sleep*! Sleep is for squares! XD

I did think about gut loading them, though. But I dunno if that'll work.... Its really stupid that you can only buy $4+ shrimp here -_-

I wonder of any of the stores around here will give me baby fish for really cheap...? I could always return/sell any survivors, I guess.

Are there any other ideas?

10. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I have moved your thread from More Freshwater Aquarium Topics to Our Other Pets/Amphibians section of the forum.

Have a safe trip!

Thanks!

Ken

11. MeganS Member Member

I've used the tetra vacation gel feeders with my adfs as well as all of my other fish when I left for 14 days. Everyone survived and the tank looked fine when I returned. There was even food left when I got back!

12. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I would not use the gel feeders they are terrible for your tank and water quality.

What about getting an auto feeder?

13. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

There's no way to attach an automatic feeder to the tank with out taking hood off, I don't think. I'd hate to come home to frogs on the floor o.o

Geez, I dunno why I didn't think about spring break when I got these frogs! Lol I'm kinda thinking I'll just take them home with me....

Any more ideas?

14. HOWsMom Well Known Member Member

While I agree that the "vacation feeders" are bad to use on a regular basis, once in a while shouldn't be a huge issue - make sure the tank is clean before you go, drop in the feeder, lights off, and plan on a good water change when you get back.

15. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

My lights are on a timer because of live plants. Do you think a vacation feeder would be ok?

16. HOWsMom Well Known Member Member

Even better.

And yes, *I* do. It's a one-time thing, not your normal mode of feeding.

I'm pretty confident that you would happily remove any left overs when you returned, and do a water change as well.

So yes, I feel that using a vacation feeder - in THIS instance - is an okay option.

Ideal of course, would be if you had someone you could trust to come in and properly care for them. But that isn't always the case, is it ?

17. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

For 10 days I'd vote for taking them home.

18. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Only my roommate but she isn't sure if she's staying or going home (because of work). But she doesn't have anything to do with my fish, even though she about had a heart attack when she found out I bought the frogs, she was so excited LOL

If I were to use a vacation feeder, which kind would you recommend?

I'm kinda of with you Lucy. I have a 3 gallon Kritter keeper with their name on it lol

19. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I used a vacation feeder once. I had a couple different types in each different tank. Well needless to say I came home and most of my tanks smelled and looked like death. Many fish died. They just sit there and pollute your water.

Think about putting regular food in, would you dump twice as many pellets as you need in one day just because you couldn't feed the next? Nope because they would just be dissolving in your water polluting it. I wouldn't do a vacation feeder.

I would just take them home unless your roommate can take care of them.

20. HOWsMom Well Known Member Member

Oh yes - if you can safely and easily take them with you, that would be awesome.

My college pet was a hamster named Desi, he travelled with me (by bus at that, in a small cage in my day pack *lol* because he wasn't allowed on the bus).

Not sure the logistics of taking an aquatic animal with you though.