going away feeding issue 10 Gallon Tank 

gmen4life

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
:;hurryb ok well my plan was to have a buddy feed my babies every other day and was going to make it easy and use my frozen blood worm cubes but now onto my african tank.....well there is a lil fin nipping every once in a while if i go on a 2 day feeding schedule and yes they will eat pellets and flake not the worms...... if i used one of those feeding blocks i think they would eat it like cazy and explode im just worried about their agression while they are cut down i spiol them now pellets in the am and flake at night they eat well so i was thinking for the next few days to cut um 2 once a day to get used to it so once every other day wont be as big of a shock any ideas would be awesome thank you all!!

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
when I saw this thread I was like , OH NOOOOOOOOOO LOL ....ive not gone away since getting my africans and not sure id dare....I have to feed mine 3-4 times a day to keep the agression under control....no fasting for them period...feeding blocks with them IMO, would be gone the first day...auto feeders might be your best bet..but if you go with one, make sure its a very nice one that can be put on a timer or something..dont go with a cheap one .....or beg a buddy to come over a few times a day and use those pill boxes that has a mon - sun compartment and stuff the food in there for each day ...

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
On the African tank if they are not juvies they are fine being feed every two days.
They aren't being nippy because of your feeding schedule, they are nippy because they are African cichlids, its just what they do.
I would not use feeding blocks if it were me, chances are you will just foul your water.
The reason people over stock African tanks is to curb the nipping issues, in my opinion it has nothing to do with you feeding every second day.
If you feed every second day I would continue to do so.
I have some tanks that get feed everyother day and some that only get fed 2-3 times a week. While this wouldn't work for community fish it is fine for an adult cichlid tank.
Just to give you an idea when we went away for 6 days about a month ago I didn't have anyone feed any of my tanks. All were fine, except I lost about 5 neet fry. All other fry and fish did fine, I really expected to lose more fry.

Brian

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can only answer for my tank but if I go without a day or even one feeding session, there is way more nipping than the average in my african tank....they are not the normal cichlid where they can go without feeding as my SA tank could...but you know your africans and I guess all can be different ..

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with Shawnie, my point being if you feed every second day now with minimal problems I don't see a need to change it for a quick vacation.

Brian

gmen4life

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
no i feed multiple times a day now i was wondering how they would do every other day while i was away my con tank is easy ill have my pal give a single blood work frozen cube the africans are my worry i have 3 aurtas in there and they are my worry my male aka deisel is the big daddy of the tank they all know hes the boss and as of mow i put a smaller female con with them and she got pounded on a little bit and may have to be moved as it is i know she will be fine when shes bigger but all my fish are fed once daily and the africans are fed twice sometime 3 times a day i was wondering if i should cut them back to once daily for now to get them used to it while i can watch it and then i guess ill ask my pal to do daily feedings on his way home from work he passes right by...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom