Going at it again....

Mlou

These Sterbais in my 20 gal are relentless. I fixed a clogged filter, did a 20% water change this morning and within minutes they were frantically circling each other. I think I id two females and 4 males so I lucked out with the ratio. They produced 50+ eggs this morning and I interfere by setting up a little breeder net cage and collected all the eggs I can see and placed them in it. They might continue but are eating breakfast now. I hatched another 50 or so of these guys’ fry previously spawned and they are growing out upstairs in my living room tank with the Adolfos. There are also around 20 or so young juveniles in the tank with the parents. I’m going to be overrun with sterbais but I love this species of cories.

pagoda

Cory's are Mother nature's very own fishy nymphomaniacs.....I often wish I could invent a Cory contraceptive cos methinks I would be a billionaire by now

StinkyLoaf

I’ve never had any cories breed once before, but during my time on the forum I’ve seen many accounts of them being very prolific fish.

pagoda

CrustyDusty said:
I’ve never had any cories breed once before, but during my time on the forum I’ve seen many accounts of them being very prolific fish.

Bronze Cory are the most sex mad fish I have ever come across.....the slightest drop in water temp and they go for it.....one of my aquariums went from 6 Bronze to over 20 in under 6 months....it is yet another excuse to buy more aquariums though

Coradee

pagoda said:
Cory's are Mother nature's very own fishy nymphomaniacs.....I often wish I could invent a Cory contraceptive cos methinks I would be a billionaire by now
Not wholly true, some species are nowhere near as prolific as others & some are extremely hard to breed in aquaria.
You see multiple spawnings & large numbers of surviving fry in certain commonly kept species because these are the species that the trade can breed easily in big numbers to sell to Lfs & on to us, hence they’re readily available & relatively cheap.

Mlou

I know the bronze and the albino bronze are very prolific but didn’t realize the sterbais seem that way too. Regardless they are one of my many fav cories so I am happy to be overrun with them.....I am hoping the Adolfos will follow in their footsteps. They seem more sensitive though I do have five fry growing out from one spawn but nothing like the sterbais.

Coradee

C.adolfoi don’t lay nearly as many eggs as some species & the fry can be tricky to raise

Mlou

Coradee said:
C.adolfoi don’t lay nearly as many eggs as some species & the fry can be tricky to raise
Yes totally agree. I notice their eggs are also bigger than sterbais or julii eggs in general. I collected more than 15 eggs that one time with my Adolfos and only got five fry growing out of it. It may have to do with water chem. I have very soft water but it’s around 7.8 out of the tap and drops as the gasses leaves the water. I don’t do anything with water...just water change with tap water and prime and set temp at 78 F . I do have catalpa leaves for my eques and julii and super Schwartzi tank. These three are currently sharing a 40 breeder tank.
pagoda said:
More like the boys are sex crazed maniacs. Feel bad for the girl fishes.

Mlou

Well, this morning, Thursday....four days after their latest spawn when I collected more than 50 eggs and they are all hatching....these sterbais spawned sgain and I collected another 25 or so eggs. All got put in the breeder net container. I couldn’t reach a bunch of eggs wedged in between the filter and the intake so I guess they can just hatch in the tank.......I’m moving the growing fry from upstairs breeder boxes which has about 30 babies and letting them go in this tank. It’s just going to be crammed with sterbais babies The juveniles are so cute and look like miniatures of mom and dad.....

Latest threads

Top Bottom