going against the fish nature!!!

1. varunrao94 Member Member

i hope this is the appropriate thread to post this into ....
    so the thing is i am experimenting in trying to keep fishes which dont do well with each other together .
    i hav 4 tiger barbs,2 angels and 5 shrimps atm in a heavily planted tank ....
    all is going on well atm any sign of aggression barbs will go back to the LFS ..
    btw barbs r a month old in the tank so i thought they would be territorial ...but angels drew out the barbs frm their spot :eek:
    any thoughts would be appreciated and wish me luck :;rudolph

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Why would you want to keep fish that historically don't do well together?
    Surely as fish keepers we should be trying to give them as natural an environment as possible & not subject them to stress by keeping inappropriate tankmates.
    I don't see your ' experiment' ending well, sorry.

3. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

Please don't do this. You are keeping the fish in an environment which at any second could turn ugly killing or injuring the fish.

4. FullyCaffeinated Well Known Member Member

Please don't! This will only end in them being stressed, injured, or more likely dead!

5. zinnaerris Member Member

I am a noobie here and I may be speaking out of turn. However if you know the fish wont get along why put them through that stress?
    Maybe a solution would be to set up 2 tanks so you can enjoy them without them being stressed and possibly kill each other.
    I personally feel that taking a fish back to the lfs because you purposely put them into a tank that is bad compatibility is just like adopting a puppy knowing it was teething and then taking it back because it chewed on your slippers or something.
    Just my 2 cents.

6. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

I have mixed fish successfully that really should not be together but I did it with 100+ g. tanks and a lot of research/experience. Keep a very close eye and act quick if a problem arises :).

7. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I'm afraid I don't see what you're trying to accomplish by intentionally keeping fish that you know in advance won't get along together.

8. varunrao94 Member Member

oh pls dont get me wrong :(
    i am monitoring them very very closely ....infact planning to video record them when i am not there ...
    the reason i did this is that i hav seen many ppl including my LFS and my neighbours keep different kinds of fish in the tank together ...esp my neighbours hav been keeping tigers,gauramis and angels for years .
    so i thought "what does fish behaviour actually depend on ...with a proper tank set up will they co exist ?"
    my current tiger barbs r the best in their behaviour , they see the shrimp moving past them and they dont care that made me think whether they will exist peacefully with other fish .
    adding more of the barbs may still more decrease the aggro but i wont be knowing the behaviour of those fishes so not risking them . lets see what happens and i hope for the best :)

9. varunrao94 Member Member

well we cant change the natures rule i guess ... i tried hard to make types of fish liv together but i failed :(
    is there not anyway they can liv together? first pec on angels fin and barbs in a different bowl now ....they ll go back to the LFS tomoro :/
    i am sry shd hav listen to u guys :(