Goby Not Recovering After Power Outage

Discussion in 'More Saltwater Aquarium Topics' started by MichelleS, Apr 23, 2019.

1. MichelleS

MichelleSNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

We had a power outage for six hours which I was unprepared for on Sunday night. I run a 10 gallon (upgrade in the works) with a clown, cardinal and a shark nose goby (along with CUC). The other two in the tank have recovered nicely but the goby has not. It is breathing quickly, not eating and not at all social (it's a very social fish). It just wants to hang out in one of it's many caves.

I have a protien skimmer, HOB filter and a bubbler running in the tank to get the oxygen up. I added stress guard to the tank as well.

I contacted the LFS and they said I have done all I can do for it at this time. I was wondering if there are any other tips.

Also, it may be unrelated but I am trying to diagnose an issue in a fresh water tank we have where the fish have died after a brief period of not eating and fast breathing and I am wondering what the odds are of them being connected. The LFS thinks it is very unlikely.

Thanks in advance for any tips and ideas.

2. Fisker

FiskerValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +253
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Six hours isn't long enough for ammonia to build up too high, IMO - I'd expect to see inverts struggling before any fish if it was ammonia.

Dip the temperature in the tank dip a lot during the outage? I've found fish to be way more tolerant of temperature swings than people would have you think, but it can cause damage to a weakened fish, I suppose.

I'd think that this fish probably already has some sort of disease. Possibly flukes in the gills (which would cause fast breathing, possible flashing, and loss of appetite), or maybe something like ich or velvet in the gills as well. It's possible for all of those diseases to manifest in the gills, which makes them incredibly difficult to diagnose, as you can't see any of the traditional symptoms (discoloration for skin flukes, white spots for ich and velvet). Clowns and cardinals can both be very hardy as well, so it'd make sense that the goby would be the first fish to fall ill with a stressor event such as a power outage.

I'd go ahead and try a freshwater dip, if it's been as long as Sunday. Not eating isn't problematic for such a short amount of time, but the fast breathing the entire time is worrisome. A freshwater dip can help get rid of some flukes (although it doesn't work on all, especially not when in the gills), and it's thought to have an effect on ich and POSSIBLY velvet as well, although neither are proven. I'd try it, and maybe try to get it into QT with some Prazipro and observe.

3. OP
    OP
    MichelleS

Ratings:
    +5
    Inverts are healthy and happy as can be.

I didn't think to look at the temp in the morning, I was more focused on getting air in. I'm hesitant to do a dip if the results are unproven, seems to me to be a lot of stress. I will try the prazipro.

4. OP
    OP
    MichelleS

Ratings:
    +5
    So, I dosed with Prazipro last night. The goby is a bit more active today and did eat a bit. However its breathing is still slightly on the high side. Maybe it just needs more time?

5. Fisker

FiskerValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +253
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I'd give it some more time, and do another round of Prazi as directed.

Become a Fishlore Member