Gobies that like warmer water

Discussion in 'Freshwater Gobies' started by fishguy122, Aug 4, 2015.

1. fishguy122

fishguy122Well Known MemberMember

Hi everyone, I really like gobies and I have a hillstream tank with some in. I also have another tank that I plan to fully stock in the autumn when more interesting fish are available. I was just wondering if there are any nice gobies that enjoy temps around 24-24 C? Thanks

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

has some info on gobies in the aquarium trade. There are temps listed for almost every goby:

3. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

24 C isn't exactly warmer water....did you mean to type something else for the second part?
    (I mean you put 24-24 C....)

4. OP
    OP
    fishguy122

Oh yeh lol 24-25 c

5. skar

skarWell Known MemberMember

I don't have allot of experience with gobies.

However I have a bumble bee goby and a rhino horn goby in with the tropical community.
    They appear to be happy at about 75-78 degrees .

6. OP
    OP
    fishguy122

Rhino horn goby?

7. skar

Ya... Or rhino goby.
    I'll post a pic of the one I have if you want.

8. OP
    OP
    fishguy122

Yes please that'd be great if you could

9. skar

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  10. OP
    OP
    fishguy122

Thanks. What size tank is that so I can get an idea?

11. skar

You are welcome.
    It's a 40 gal hexagon.

12. OP
    OP
    fishguy122

Thanks. That's a lot bigger than mine (mines a 17 gal). Can I see a pic of the tank it looks really nice

13. skar

Thank you.image

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  14. OP
    OP
    fishguy122

I wish you could make my tank s lol! I can't aqua scape for the life of me and my stem plants always seem to rot even though I have good lights and ferts, co2 etc.

15. skar

Lol Thank you.
    It's mostly water wisteria. No co2 just an overstocked aquarium :p.
    I think lighting is the biggest thing to get; once I got a good Ho light the plants look great.

16. OP
    OP
    fishguy122

That's my that this thread is about tank.... As you can see its not really a work of art, mainly due to the carpeting plants I put in 2 days ago. The lights pretty good (35-40(can't remember how many exactly) 6500k LEDs)).

17. skar

You would be amazed what a back ground a lil drift wood and a few bright fish will do to your aquarium.

I didn't have much luck with carpeting plants. I hope you're do better than mine did.

18. OP
    OP
    fishguy122

I did have some wood in there but it was too big and didn't let me do much if that makes sense? Plus I ordered way too many carpeting plants so I wouldn't have been able to use most of them if it was in there.

19. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

To the original question, one of my favorite gobies is the Peacock Gudgeon, Tateurndina ocellicauda. They don't lay about like so many Gobies, they like to swim above the bottom. My pair was breeding at 25C. Not at all aggressive. They do seem to be available again.

The Desert Goby, Chlamidogobius eremius, is another that is pretty easy to keep and breed. Very wide tolerance for temperature, and they prefer harder water. I had an article published in TFH about 12-15 years ago on breeding them. A little ornery with their own kind, but not generally bad with other species.

20. OP
    OP
    fishguy122

Thanks chromedome52, but I'm really looking for gobies that are a bit like the hillstream ones, like the rhino ones that skar suggested. I've definitely considered those ones but I think the deserts are a bit dull and the peacocks look almost the same as the gardneri killis I have in there already.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice