Goats and Water Changes Funny

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by hooxeii, Mar 23, 2010.

1. hooxeii

hooxeiiWell Known MemberMember

No, I'm not going mad. The title is about the situation I've found myself in.

I am a pre-vet major. We have weekly barn duty; last night, I found myself charged with spraying antibiotic onto the heads/other parts of goats who'd been dehorned and neutered. The barn intern neglected to tell me that the antibiotic (Blue Kote) stains like no other. Of course, they told me AFTER I'd managed to thoroughly cover my right hand in it. I looked like a reject from a James Cameron film.

A thought crossed my mind as the interns told me it would take days to get off: "How am I going to do my water changes???"

I was able to scrub/wash most of it off on my left hand; save for a few tiny spots that should be gone with another couple of hand washings, it's clean. My right hand, though, the hand I mostly use for my siphoning, still has a considerable amount of blue stain on it. Hand sanitizer got most of it off, but there's some stubborn bits.

My question is this: would it be safe to do my water changes with this stain on my hand? By now most of the antibiotic itself has to be washed off, but I'm concerned the dye itself could have some ill effect on my fish. I have a friend who could do the changes for me, but I'd prefer to do it myself...

2. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

3. OP
    OP
    hooxeii

I have purple nitrile gloves; would those be safe?

4. LyndaB

LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

If you have a python, and use the gloves, you should be alright. You should be able to keep your hands out of the tank, for the most part.

Or, perhaps for this week, just do a water change (not gravel vac). :cool:

5. Cichlidude

CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

For your hands, go to auto store and buy Go-Jo.

6. sirdarksol

sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

Yep, purple nitrile gloves should be fine (as long as they're not powdered... but I've never seen powdered nitrile gloves, which is one of the reasons so many places use them).
    I would actually think that, if it stains that well, it would be relatively safe for the tank. The reason it stains is because it's apparently not water-soluble. Of course, I also believe that it's better to be safe than sorry, so I think you're right to take precautions.

7. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

I don't mean this as being rude, but didn't they advise you to wear gloves while spraying the goats?
    I'd be concerned about absorbing the goat antibiotics theough contact.

8. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

The reason for the stain is to make sure all the areas that need covering get covered.
    Yep Nitrile gloves of any kind will work as they are powder and Latex free.
    as Lucy stated I would be concerned with absorbing the antibiotic myself without using gloves.
    Carol

9. OP
    OP
    hooxeii

They did not instruct me to wear gloves, but I've had no ill effects from the antibiotic itself. Just blue hands!

Thanks for the advice :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice