Gluttonous Sorority with swollen bellies

NaginiFay

I introduced a new food to my betta/guppy/snail tank today, top fin algae thins. I put in 5 discs to see if my trapdoor snail would go for it, since it hasn't been eating much.
My greedy girls ate all of it, and now have swollen bellies, the stupids. Should I be worried about injury or illness from this gluttony? The belly swelling looks pretty bad, but 2 hours ago, they were fine.

20211201_203720.jpg

BradleyH2O

Yikes. Might want to try one or two next time lol

peachsonas

They should be okay if you give them a fasting day or two. Next time just do only one :)

Noroomforshoe

It is not ideal to overfeed the tank trying to get one member to eat. I should know, I do it all the time. "I couldn't tell if the little guy got any food!". So You might want to fast your fish for a couple of days and go light on food for a while. Also, Vacuum a little extra, what goes in, must come out.

NaginiFay

Thank you! I was worried they might have done something that would hurt their insides.

Noroomforshoe

There was that urban legend that a goldfish would eat until it explodes. It was just a made-up thing. The biggest issue with a single overfeeding is polluting the water. So just be careful in the future, keep up with water changes, Good fishing!

NaginiFay

Yup, they are definitely pooping more than usual.

NaginiFay

I think I need to feed them their own food right before I try to feed my snails. I made snello today for my snail I'm trying to get to eat, and my bettas have eaten half of it already. They particularly like the broccoli. One of them so much she started biting for the first time so she could keep the last piece to herself.....she's in "time out."

Noroomforshoe

It may bepossible to spot feed the snails in a tube or some kind of box. It depends on whether the bettas get wise and start going in the tube/box.
get a 1-2 inch tube,or pvc pipe or a mini terra cotta vase, or somthing, add food, lower it down, feed bettas at the same time.

Debbie1986

I remove my mystery snails into a small bowl if I feel they are not eating enough.

leave them in it with a lid on top for about an hour. if they're hungry, they eat. If not, back into tank.

*It's a bowl I use for water changes to hold plants when vacuuming.

NaginiFay

I will try that.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
HairyCatFish
Replies
Views
A201
  • Question
  • FishRule4208
  • Guppy