Glutaral: Good Or Bad?

skllkd

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey everyone!

So here’s my story (in short): I have a 10 G tank, planted with Java Ferns, Anubias of all sorts, and an Amazon sword... I have been told that these are relatively easy plants, in terms of care and requirements.

I’m using root tabs (which I now understand isn’t that necessary as the majority of my plants aren’t per se “planted”), Seachen Flourish (I was using API Leaf Zone before - but realized that this product lacked key elements like magnesium or phosphate).... and the infamous API co2 booster.

The reason why I have this co2 booster? My plants are already showing signs of a lack of co2 (maybe because I only have 2 fish in that tank... a guppy and a dwarf gourami - the latter being a surface breather so I’m guessing less co2 produced from him), and for the plants I’m using + tank size, I deemed it a bit unnecessary to run a DIY co2 injector.

So I’ve been doing some research - and it looks like there are a lot of mixed feelings about this product, API co2 booster, and in general adding glutaral in your planted tank.

Now what I’m seeing the most is:

NO -> Glutaral canNOT replace co2, shouldn’t be treated as such.

YES -> Glutaral may not be co2, but it is a carbon source that still is being used by plants when developing their cells.

So I’m turning to you guys and gals, as I’m really interested in knowing who has used this product in the past, and if someone can maybe give me more infos based on personal experience and such.

Thank you

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Glutaraldehyde is what's in API CO2 booster, Seachem Excel, etc, it's all the same chemical
Plants showing lack of CO2 usually happens with high tech plants that need CO2 to live - yours don't, so they shouldn't be showing CO2 deficiency.

The reason plants need CO2 is to obtain carbon. A huge chunk of a plant's dry mass is carbon. CO2 is carbon dioxide and is what is easiest to use.

Glut clearly contains carbon as well, but simply put plants are evolved to use CO2 gas and not glut. Glut is not a liquid form of CO2, no matter what API calls their product. So no, it doesn't replace CO2, and the stunning growth rate, color, and health of plants in high tech tanks are proof of what injected CO2 gas can do.

However, it does help low tech plants. It's probably in the range of 20-50% as effective as real CO2 for low tech plants from my own experience, but that percentage rapidly decreases as you move toward higher tech plants.

skllkd

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Got it! So do you think it would be beneficial (even in the slightest form) for me to continue using it? I mean I bought the product already... should I just keep using it? Haha

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
skllkd said:
Got it! So do you think it would be beneficial (even in the slightest form) for me to continue using it? I mean I bought the product already... should I just keep using it? Haha
Oh yes, definitely. Better than nothing. Daily is best because a single dose only lasts around 24 hours. It's also an effective algaecide

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom