Gluing Roots To Substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakana魚

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I found a Petco near me that sells fluval plant and shrimp stratum... But reading reviews I am seeing alot of people having difficulty keeping their plants down. I really want dwarf hair grass and jungle val, would it be possible to glue the roots to a couple pieces of the substrate to keep them down or would that kill the plant? (The glue I would use is seachem flourish glue.)

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe consider doing a dry start for the DHG and then flood after a couple of weeks and once flooded, add vall - I've found that the root systems for val grows extremely fast!

Even then, keeping it fish free (like bottom dwellers) for a couple of days can help reduce them from floating...

Briggs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So I found a Petco near me that sells fluval plant and shrimp stratum... But reading reviews I am seeing alot of people having difficulty keeping their plants down. I really want dwarf hair grass and jungle val, would it be possible to glue the roots to a couple pieces of the substrate to keep them down or would that kill the plant? (The glue I would use is seachem flourish glue.)
Unfortunately I don't think DHG or Val would do well with glue on their roots. I haven't used Stratum myself, but usually the best solution to keeping stem and carpeting plants down while they take root is to make sure you have a good 2 or 3 inches of substrate and use angled planting tweezers to get them as deep as you can while planting. Good planting substrates are pricey, so it's easy to talk yourself into trying it with an inch or less, but I have always struggled to get plants to stay planted in less than two.

Edit: Oh, and seachem flourish glue is just Cyanoacrylate. If you want to glue some other plants down (or anything else in your aquarium), you can save a bunch of money and just buy super glue. It's the same thing. Super useful stuff, it cures instantly in cold water and is aquarium safe. It will dry white, though.

Last edited:

Sakana魚

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Maybe consider doing a dry start for the DHG and then flood after a couple of weeks and once flooded, add vall - I've found that the root systems for val grows extremely fast!

Even then, keeping it fish free (like bottom dwellers) for a couple of days can help reduce them from floating...
I don't plan on running co2 on the tank, wont the plants just melt when I flood it?

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't plan on running co2 on the tank, wont the plants just melt when I flood it?
As long as the humidity is high, die back should be minimal. I've done dry starts with no injected CO2 and plants responded fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom