Glue For Aquariums

1. Sxusie

Sxusie Valued Member Member

I don't know if this is the right section but oh well!
    I will be building a acrylic aquarium and need some glue to put it together with. I have searched for ages on the internet but no luck. does anyone have any recommendations?

2. Nanologist

Nanologist Well Known Member Member

I just use the gel superglue: Loctite Super Glue Easy Squeeze Gel, .14-oz Bottle LOC1364076

I was told the Cyanoacrylate gel super glues are used by many reefers to glue the frags to live rock. They even use it underwater and say it cures better this way!

I used it to attach a baffle to my filter and after holding it for a few seconds I placed it directly back in my tank with a Betta with no repercussions.

For a large acrylic tank though, not sure the size you're aiming for, you may want to use a Weldon adhesive. Like Weldon 16.

3. C

Chaory Valued Member Member

Acrylic cement

4. Nanologist

5. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

Yep, silicone, and many glues will not bond to acrylic well, or at all. Acrylic Cement is what you need.

6. Nanologist

Even with the cement you will want to sand the joints you're attaching with something like 150 grit automotive sandpaper.

I'm sure you're aware of this if deciding to take on this task though! Good luck and please share pics of the build process if you can.