Glowlight Tetras, Cherry Barbs, or Harlequin Rasboras?

1. soccermatt Member Member

I have been cycling my tank for my sister for Christmas for several weeks now. There is almost no ammonia, and i am hoping nitrite will soon drop. I know i should just wait until the tank is completely cycled but she would really like to get the fish for Christmas, so i was planning on getting some on Christmas eve.

I am currently looking at the first schooling fish that i would like to add. So Far its between:
    8 Glowlight tetra's
    6 Harlequin Rasboras
    6 Cherry Barbs

I would do water changes today tomorrow and thursday, to get nitrite levels below .25, and then would continue to do so to keep them below that. I would also only get 3 to start with.

What do you think would be the best school of fish, and i am also open to hear other suggestions.

Once the school is settled i would also like to add a couple platies.

Thanks

2. Thunder Member Member

I don't know the tank specs, but if you're going to have some Platy, then get the Glowlight tetras to bring out the Platy with color difference. If no Platy, then Cherry Barbs is good.

3. Diggly Well Known Member Member

cherry barbs dont really school like other fish but the do enjoy the company of their own species so this might be something to consider if you wanted a tight schooling fish.

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I think you should reconsider getting fish when your tank is still cycling. You've probably read enough on this site to know how stressful it is for them. It damages their organs, burns their gills, and can kill them.

Also, in a situation like yours, where you've been doing a fishless cycle and are so close, it delays the cycling process.

I know you really want the fish for Christmas, and it would be nice to have that for your sister, but I hope you'll consider that it's best for them if you wait the extra days. If you decide not to wait, then daily water changes with an ammonia detoxifying conditioner like Prime would be recommended.

No matter which way you go, remember to add just 2-3 fish at a time. And you'll have to keep the number of fish down, as your tank is only 12 gallons or so. Good luck.

:)

5. soccermatt Member Member

i have basically no ammonia, but a fair amount of nitrites, do you know what can detoxify them?

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Prime will detoxify nitrites (as will amelquel plus, although Kordon says API test kit is not compatible with that product). I'm not positive, but I think ammo-lock will, too - I think I've read where Lucy said that. ???

But since you have nitrites now, and no ammonia left, I really think you are in the home stretch with your cycling. Just my opinion, though, I know it's your tank and your fish.

Make sure you are prepared for the water changes, and keep a close eye on the fish. And take your time acclimating them.

7. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree. Please hold off on the fish until the tank has completed its cycle. Maybe you could give your sister some photos of those fish along with the tank, and let her choose which ones she likes as another part of the gift. :)

If she really wants the fish immediately, I'd suggest either the glowlight tetras or the harlequin rasboras. As Meenu mentioned, use Prime and do daily water changes until the tank cycles completely.

8. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I have been told that black skirt tetras can handle a cycle but the other species need to be put into a tank that has been established for some time. So even if you tank had finished cycling in the last week or so I still wouldn't put those glowlights in there.

9. cwb141 Member Member

I agree with Harpau2002, if you hold off on the fish until after the tank's cycled you could give your sister the tank and promise to take her to the LFS when they open after xmas. She might like it more if she chooses the fish. You could also explain to her why/how the tank is cycling and that you timed it to be ready around xmas.

10. soccermatt Member Member

okay, ive decided to wait, after however i did a 40% water change.

11. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

if you are going to wait to add fish, don't bother with any more water changes... that's what delays the cycle, because you are taking the toxins out of the water, and the toxins are what feed the bacteria to get it to colonize.