Glowlight Tetra

silvarbullet1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So we bit the bullet today and bought 6 glowlight Tetra for our new 37L (10 gallon) freshly planted tank! I am going to be doing daily water changes (did one this morning before bringing back the stock from pet shop) and testing, so here's hoping they settle in...

I did another 50% water change this morning with Prime and QuickStart and when we got back with the fish this evening I put another dose of Prime and QuickStart in.

The tank is at 26C and I'm about to do another full raft of water tests.

At the moment they seem to be gulping/breathing very quickly, perhaps 5 times per second? I'm afraid I didn't really notice the rate in the shop so no idea if this is normal... They are swimming around the tank in what seems like a happy fashion and not gulping at the surface.

Anyway, I'll let you know more tomorrow!

OP
silvarbullet1

silvarbullet1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Lucifer93 said:
What are water parameters? Has the tank been cycled yet or are you cycling the tank with the glowlights?
So, I started cycling the tank about 3 days ago. I've done several 50% water changes and used API quickstart and Seachem Prime. The tank has maintained a steady 26 centigrade for the last 48 hours.

At first (2 days ago):
Ammonia 0.5
NO2 3-5
NO3 20-50
pH 7.6-8

Yesterday 11pm after adding fish...
Ammonia 0-0.2
NO2 0.25
NO3 40
pH 7.6-7.8

Then I did a 20% water change and added more quickstart & prime to the fresh water I added.

And today 1am:
NO2 >0.25
NO3 ~40

I did several tests between all of these but didn't write them all down. They were tending in the same direction.

Are those NO3 levels going to kill my fish?
The Ammonia and NO2 seem to be going down towards 0 but the NO3 seems to still be going up.

Hope that helps
And many many thanks!

Lucifer93

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Your Nitrate (NO3) levels are safe for fish, but it would be best to try to keep it under 20 ppm, so overall your water parameters are pretty good. I would continue to monitor them every day until the tank stabilizes, and then you could consider adding more fish into the tank.

OP
silvarbullet1

silvarbullet1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Lucifer93 said:
Your Nitrate (NO3) levels are safe for fish, but it would be best to try to keep it under 20 ppm, so overall your water parameters are pretty good. I would continue to monitor them every day until the tank stabilizes, and then you could consider adding more fish into the tank.
Thanks for the advice! I will keep monitoring, but the good news for now is they are all still looking happy this morning when my little boy came downstairs to check on them

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Glowlights are quite delicate to cycle with, but keep on top of it and help minimize it.

OP
silvarbullet1

silvarbullet1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So... I'm doing regular water changes with the prime etc etc. They seemed to be doing fine today. I didn't get to observe them all day but they've been hanging out together most of the time...

However, I'm wondering if I have 5 males and 1 female... Or it's poorly. Didn't really plan on babies yet.

Basically one has a much larger abdomen, kinda like it's swolen, and this evening some of the others seemed to be chasing her/hI'm around the tank... Full of eggs? Ill? I have no clue!!
The big one is seen in the middle of the pic, the rest all look like the one on the left.
Any ideas?
IMG_20200102_205008.jpg

New Threads