Glowlight Tetra Fin Help

1. Jake the Fish Member Member

On my Glowlight the fin on top looks like it has been clipped. Is that a problem?

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi Jake, you keep starting these posts with a question about your fish problems, The answer is what everyone has been telling you, and I'm thinking the answer you are getting from us will remain consistent. You have 23 fish in a 10 gallon tank. Some of those fish get up to 6 inches big. You are overstocked, and it is causing you aggression problems in your tank.

The answer to your question is, "yes, it is a problem that your tetra's fin is gone."

Your tank info says that you've kept this tank for almost a full year. Has it been this severely overstocked the whole time? Is this the first time you've had problems?

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Jake. Chances are the fin will grow back if it wasn't nipped to close to the skin.
    You really need to take a look at the root of the problem though which I believe is being over stocked.
    Best wishes.
    Ken

4. Jake the Fish Member Member

No, my tank hasn't been overcrowded the whole year I've had the tank. I am also saving up for a bigger tank. It's a bit hard to get a bigger one when your twelve.

5. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Can you rehome some of your fish? If you don't know anyone with tanks that can accomodate them, then perhaps your fish store will buy some back from you, and you can wait until you are able to get a bigger tank before purchasing them again? :;dk

I just think you're going to keep having these problems. Your tank isn't even just a little bit overstocked, it's really crowded in there. Imagine 23 people living in a home that's set up for a maximum of 7, and nobody could leave. It just wouldn't work out.

6. Jake the Fish Member Member

I am planning of getting a new tank. Which one would you recommend?

7. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

For your current fishies, I'd say about 45-55g or two 20-30 gallon tanks.

Do you have Craigslist, freecycle, or kijiji in your area? If so, maybe check for tanks on those sites and then ask your parents about what chores/jobs you can do around the house to help raise money for the tank. Also, check if they would be okay with you getting upgrades (which is really in the best interest of the fishies if you cannot return/rehome them). :)

Best wishes!! Pristine water will help the fin heal.

8. Jake the Fish Member Member

Sorry, but I don't have Craigslist, freecycle or kijiji near me.

9. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Ah, that's too bad - those are websites where people sell used items for really cheap. But your local fish store will also carry nice big tanks. :)

10. Jake the Fish Member Member

I asked my Dad and he said No :(. If I want to get a new tank I will have to sell my old tank (my Dad said that). But I might have a look at the websites you suggested iloveengl. :) I think he might let me get a tank because I have done extremely well at school this year :).

11. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Can you get your sister a tank like you planned, make it a little bigger than you originally thought, and then instead of buying new goldies for it, transfer some of your fish over?

12. Jake the Fish Member Member

Good Idea Meenu, but fish tanks in my area can be a bit expensive.
    I'll ask my mum, she might let me get a bigger one.

or

I could buy a bigger one and give my one at the moment to my sister.

13. Jake the Fish Member Member

14. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

search in the stuff for sale. sometimes you can find really good deals.

i know you are having a lot of trouble, and tanks are expensive. ask your dad if he'll help you (don't do this on your own, please) post an ad on craigslist in the wanted section, saying you're looking to purchase a used tank? maybe someone will remember they've got one in storage if they see your ad?

15. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

When I search Craigslist, I use the "search craigslist" for sale function on the left side of page; first I search aquarium, then I search fish, so I get listings for people who list it under different names. :) I also check the "pet" section in the upper left hand corner (I think under "Community").

Not all listings are great deals - some are ridiculous (like a 5g tank with everything listed for $100 :eek:).

But, it usually doesn't take long to run across something worth checking out. Example, I got my 55g with stand, rocks, hood, lights, filter, and decorations for $100 with delivery. I'm currently looking at a similar set up listed for under $75. Smaller tanks (10-30g) with everything are good deals from $10-$50. :;rocker

Definitely check with your folks before responding to any ads; spammers and creepers exist on all these sites. Feel free to post any ad that looks good to you. I always do because it helps me make up my mind and members give good advice if it's a good deal or not. :)

16. Jake the Fish Member Member

I went to my LFS today and had a look at some tanks and I found the tank of my dreams. :) It is $389 and is a Aquastyle 620