Glowlight Danio By Two Names, The Same?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by AbrielleRose, Apr 20, 2017.

1. AbrielleRoseNew MemberMember

Hi,
    I'm looking into getting glowlight danios. The ones I have been researching are called celestichthys choprae. My local fish store says they can order danio choprae. Are they the same fish by two different names?

2. KinsKicksFishlore VIPMember

Hello!
    Yes, they are the same. "Celestichthys" is the specific epithet of the species and is just the scientific "adjective" to the fish. The "Danio" name is the less "scientific" general name that they applied I'm assuming they called to make it easier to order (I can imagine that most people don't really know what "celestichthys" is, but they know what a "Danio" is!)

Hope this helps!

3. AbrielleRoseNew MemberMember

Thank you!

4. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

That analysis of the names is incorrect. Celestichthys and Danio are both Genus names, and both have been used with the species, choprae. The common name of Danio comes from the Genus name. Currently the valid scientific name is Danio choprae. For hobbyists, it's easier to just remember the Glowlight Danio common name, not to be confused with GloFish Danios. A relatively easy species to keep, but supposedly maxes out about an inch and a quarter. I had a group that was at least a half inch longer than that. It is an elegantly colored fish. They are very active, just what one would expect from Danios. Unfortunately I did not try to breed them, and they were sold at an auction as I needed the tank space. In retrospect, a major error on my part.

5. AbrielleRoseNew MemberMember

I'm currently using my quarantine tank. These guys will be next to go in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice